What's new

Possible melted lead or tin from a Civil War camp site?

glenn37216

Full Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2012
Messages
164
Reaction score
191
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I was out hunting and came across this strange find. It looks like melted lead or tin that has been poured and "snipped" at the end. It's also non magnetic. The backside has an impression as if the object was held with tongs while in its melting state. My question is ... could this be Civil War related? Usually , the melted lead I've seen from that era is white in color. This find has me curious but stumped ! :icon_scratch:
-Any comments are appreciated.

IMG_20180325_191443.webpIMG_20180326_042804.webpIMG_20180325_191646.webpIMG_20180325_191556.webp
 
It's possible, but it doesn't look like any campsite lead I have seen... Nice find though
 
Upvote 0
Glenn,

To be quite honest, I think it's a piece of melted aluminum from a camp fire and the "Snipped" area is a fresh mark possibly caused by your digging tool. If you look at the pic's you'll notice how shiny the "Snipped" portion is as compared to the rest of the object. I'll admit I'm not an expert and there's many more folks on this forum who has a vast amount of knowledge that can answer your question better than me, I'm just giving you my opinion. Anyhow, nice find and thanks for sharing...

"D"
 
Upvote 0
Hard to say it is related specifically to one four-year time period.

If it was cooled "in the pot" one side would be very smooth
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom