Possible piece of shipwreck? I could use some help on this one.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I thought at first was a big chunk of rusty metal. It was dowel-shaped, but tapered at the ends. It broke apart as soon as it went in my finds pouch. It turns out that what I thought was rusty metal was actually incredibly brittle wood, which felt like rusty metal to the touch. Running through the center of the piece is an iron square nail, which was well-preserved by the wood that once surrounded it. I found this piece in the same area I previously found a Spanish cob 2 reales coin which, based on the shield (and reverse), dates to 1712 or 1713 and likely is from the 1715 fleet. If this is part of a shipwreck, what would the purpose of this piece be? I'm no expert, but I know there are enough of you on this site who are, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ship Nail 1.jpg
Ship Nail 2.jpg
Ship Nail Top.jpg

Upvote 3

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...an OLD chunk of wood..in the vicinity of 1700's silver..with a square nail in it. I'm no expert either TomW, but I guess it has a better chance than most at being old ship remains. Nice find..Ddf.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...an OLD chunk of wood..in the vicinity of 1700's silver..with a square nail in it. I'm no expert either TomW, but I guess it has a better chance than most at being old ship remains. Nice find..Ddf.

Thanks, and, yes, I laughed at your reply! I just can't figure out what this specific design would serve. I've seen posts with flat pieces of wood with nails and spikes in them, but this appeared to be intentionally carved into the cylindrical shape with tapered ends. Used to plug a hole? A really poor attempt to make a very tiny baseball bat? ��

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread