What's new

Possible Plesiosaur podial?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cappy Z.
  • Start date Start date
C

Cappy Z.

Guest
I'm no scientist and I have spent hours trying ID this bone.

Any help would be most appreciated.


(The Plesiosaur isn't mine lol)
 

Attachments

  • a paleo marinefossil1.webp
    a paleo marinefossil1.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 550
  • plesiosaur-lg (12).webp
    plesiosaur-lg (12).webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 720
This bone is the distal end of a femur, Polycotylid Plesiosaur, which is the short-necked Plesiosaur.
Something for you to visually compare. I found it in Arkansas.
 

Attachments

  • plesiosaur paddle bone.webp
    plesiosaur paddle bone.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 570
Meant to show you this where you can see where it has mineralized. A different view...
 

Attachments

  • end view.webp
    end view.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 456
Harry Pristis said:
It appears to be a rock. Why do you think that the object is a bone?

Find something to do please. I don't need friends raining on my parade..even if I am delusional.

Thank you

Cap Z.
 
Wow! Perhaps, I am missing something, but there was no judgement of your psyche, that I perceived. Instead, Harry wanted to know the characteristics of your stone, that you thought, indicated it was bone.

I realize that I have little standing on this forum, but I am familiar with Harry's ability to identify vert material. As far as I have witnessed, his knowledge is unsurpassed... professional, or otherwise(and I know a few of both ;) ).

If you wanted someone to justify a preconceived conclusion, then why did you ask for opinions?

BTW, I know little of vert material, but I know a little something about rocks. Get some better photographs, with close ups, and I can probably, intimately, describe your stone.
 
Pardon me.

Here's a close up photo..I hope you can see the 'marrow' looking sections. Up close they look like tiny honeycombs.

Thanks for the feedback.
 

Attachments

  • BoneFossil2.webp
    BoneFossil2.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 441
LanceHall said:
I'm just not seeing it.

Do you know the geologic age where it was found?

Yea, It was about 327 years into the latter Jurassic on a Wednesday...
 
Quote from: LanceHall on Nov 24, 2009, 07:25:24 PM
I'm just not seeing it.

Do you know the geologic age where it was found?


Yea, It was about 327 years into the latter Jurassic on a Wednesday...



Too funny i love it
 
Cappy Z. said:
LanceHall said:
I'm just not seeing it.

Do you know the geologic age where it was found?

Yea, It was about 327 years into the latter Jurassic on a Wednesday...

Cappy Z, you give the impression that you really don't "appreciate any help" (which surprises me given your initial request and your Charter Member status on this forum). Your photos barely reveal enough detail to even make a guess. So, until your request is sincere and photos are clearer, your specimen will be whatever you want it to be....
 
Tylocidaris said:
Cappy Z. said:
LanceHall said:
I'm just not seeing it.

Do you know the geologic age where it was found?

Yea, It was about 327 years into the latter Jurassic on a Wednesday...

Cappy Z, you give the impression that you really don't "appreciate any help" (which surprises me given your initial request and your Charter Member status on this forum). Your photos barely reveal enough detail to even make a guess. So, until your request is sincere and photos are clearer, your specimen will be whatever you want it to be....
My god man, loosen up a bit. This isn't honors physical anthropology. It's suppose to be 'fun' here.
Keep your criticism on my fossil, please. Did you know the Neanderthals had no sense of humor? And look what happened to them...
 
Cappy Z. said:
Tylocidaris said:
Cappy Z, you give the impression that you really don't "appreciate any help" (which surprises me given your initial request and your Charter Member status on this forum). Your photos barely reveal enough detail to even make a guess. So, until your request is sincere and photos are clearer, your specimen will be whatever you want it to be....
My god man, loosen up a bit. This isn't honors physical anthropology. It's suppose to be 'fun' here.
Keep your criticism on my fossil, please. Did you know the Neanderthals had no sense of humor? And look what happened to them...


...uhh, I thought I was helping to ID the furry one under the "fuzzy" one. :laughing7:

Apparently, you've found a funny bone. :read2: (That ID was so easy, even a cave man could do it.) :laughing7:
 
...uhh, I thought I was helping to ID the furry one under the "fuzzy" one. (Tylocidaris)

:notworthy: (lol)

Thank you for your expert assessment!
 
Looks like a rock. Does it smell like a rock? Maybe its a rock? :laughing7: A very old rock. Keep looking you have the shape down pat.
(humor cappy)
HH
TnMtns
 
TnMountains said:
Looks like a rock. Does it smell like a rock? Maybe its a rock? :laughing7: A very old rock. Keep looking you have the shape down pat.
(humor cappy)
HH
TnMtns

It also swims like a rock....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom