What's new

Buried Gold at Nome!

geowizard

Supporting Vendor
🛒 Supporting Vendor
Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
570
Reaction score
513
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nome was once considered the largest gold deposit in the World.

That could qualify it as a subject of discussion! :dontknow:

There are a plethora of placer gold mines and at least a couple of centuries of recorded gold mining history that can only make us wonder about the possibilities of WHERE all that placer gold came FROM!

Has the Nome mining district been surveyed by a DIGHEM survey? The answer... an emphatic Yes!

Of further interest to Gold Prospectors is that I have spent hundreds of hours going from survey line to survey line looking for Gold! The highest value Gold Discovery I know of in Alaska is in the Nome mining district!

Let's look at the data and do a deep dive into Gold Exploration at Nome!

- Geowizard
 
How do we get there from here?

I prefer airlines. I suggest the most direct route is to make airline connections with Alaska Airlines at Seattle or any regional airport making connections with Seattle with a destination at Nome.

Funding:

As with many remote towns and villages in Alaska, be ready for an expected sticker shock! Take most of what you need packed in luggage to save a few bucks.

I often remind remote prospectors the cost of getting there is one of the reasons the Gold is still in the ground. It takes a plan and and a budget. The plan has to begin with the deposit in question! That's where we begin our "mission of discovery". "Gold is where you find it." is a true statement. Where do you find it?

Stick around and find out! :hello:

- Geowizard
 
You can find it at Dickens Creek!

You can fly in comfort to Nome. Take a taxi out to Dickens Creek, roll your pant legs up and go to work!

First, you need a map!

Geowizard
 

Attachments

Got data?

By now, readers have enough background to pick 'em. You pick 'em and you dig 'em! :occasion14:

Here's the data on a topo map.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's where the shovel needs to hit the ground:

1440_phi900_30
3W 488683E 7194458N

1506_phi900_12.63
3W 488061E 7194460N

1508_res900_0.30*****
3W 488042E 7194460N

Note this data is 900 Hz data. These are responding as shallow targets with vertical development of mineralization. 10060_ 1_900.webp

- Geowizard
 
A view of the deposit from the standpoint of 56k data:

Geowizard
 

Attachments

I spent several years sitting in front of my computer in the "off season";

I was playing a game called "Find the hidden Easter-eggs in Nome"! Gold eroded from the mainland into the Bering Sea! Where did all of that Gold come from? :dontknow:

When you fly into Nome on an Alaska Airlines, most approaches bring you across barren hilltops. The hilltops are half covered by brush and tundra. The other half flies over barren exposed grey rock. Miles and miles of rock! The rock appears to be broken granite in a layer that covers everything. There are no mineral outcrops. There is no evidence of mineralization. Geology? It's anybody's guess! :dontknow:

The only thing for certain is the sucking sound. The sucking sound on your wallet! Nome is expensive. It's cold. It's wet! It's miserable. A pizza was $50 in 2008. I settled for Spam in the can in my tent on the beach!
Planning ahead, I flew in a Canvas wall tent and camp. I planned on buying 10 foot long 2x2's and a portable Dewalt drill to drill holes and use 1/4 inch bolts, nuts and washers for the frame to hang the tent. I hired a taxi to go 50 miles roundtrip to the hardware store. Don't forget plenty of tie-down rope, stakes, and bungies! :thumbsup:

In 2007, before I learned about DIGHEM, I mined during the summer on East Beach in Nome.

In 2008, and after getting all setup, a violent Bering sea storm rolled in and washed everything off the beach. I woke up at midnight with foamy sea water coming in under the tent! In total darkness in a torrential storm, I single-handedly moved my tent and materials including Proline 4" combo highbanker, pump, 200 feet of lay-flat hose, bedding, food, solar panel, battery, electronics, etc. to the top of the seawall. Whew!

In 2009, I packed up and air freighted the camp to McGrath and then Ophir, Alaska.

- Geowizard
 
Buried Gold on the Flambeau River!

DIGHEM survey lines crossing the Flambeau River reveal buried gold in the river. Each survey line shows a hit, an anomaly at the point where the line crosses the river.. Is it just a coincidence?

See for yourself...
flambeau_river_hits.webp

- Geowizard
 

Attachments

Creme de la Creme;

The "Creme de la Creme" is a High conductivity Gold deposit within a stones throw of a paved road.

Edit correct French phrase.

-Geowizard
 

Attachments

  • creme_de_creme.webp
    creme_de_creme.webp
    169.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom