What's new

Possible point fragment?

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2014
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
1,305
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
I accidently bombarded HuskerHunter's thread with this photo, so to avoid doing that again; I'll start from scratch, lol.

I recovered this while mining for gemstones and gold in North Carolina. I found it buried approx. 2 feet down in the stream gravel-bar. First, it appears that it was formed un-naturally. I have many specimens of Chalcedony & Obsidian and their fragments don't look like this. Second, I found absolutely NO chalcedony the whole day I was mining, except for this piece. From what I gathered, it does not naturally occur where I found it or there would have been more, for sure.

Which brings me to the conclusion that this is in fact an artifact. If I had found any other fragments of Chalcedony, I wouldn't ponder this as much. Any input?

125_2875.webp

125_2876.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
it looks like it is either an unfinished piece or it could be a reduction flake but it is not just a natural piece.........nice looking material
 
Last edited:
Thank you! I appreciate this site so much.
 
Looks like a worked piece for sure:thumbsup:There is more in that creek than just that. HH
 
LOL, I had to look twice, it looks like a nice black flint notched point stuck to the side of your goggles/mask in the last pic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom