What's new

Possibly another rarity??

Dr Plugs

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2023
Messages
162
Reaction score
1,310
Golden Thread
0
I was gong through some of the coins in my finds pouch that I needed to get put away for now. I always look up some of the more unusual couns I find just out of curiosity.

I came across this 1878 shield nickel, I have only ever found 2 of them. From what I read only 2,350 of these coins were minted that year, and for proof sets for collectors? Does anyone have anymore info on these coins.

I know the 1873 had proof coins, and the crappy cellphone pic is hard to tell, but under a scope it is most definitely an 1878 coin. I don't believe it's worth much just because most that exist are in proof condition, but a cool find none the less.
 

Attachments

  • 20250614_170136.webp
    20250614_170136.webp
    362.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20250614_171305.webp
    20250614_171305.webp
    418.7 KB · Views: 82
The last “8” is smaller than the second 8
You’ve got an 1873 “closed 3” variety.
Digging an 1878 would be weird.
I'm not doubting you what so ever, but that 3 had me fooled, even under magnification, the last number appeared to be a solid 8.
 
Yep, 1873.

Time for more coffee.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom