Post office cracking down on items mailed as first class parcels.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The post office is cracking down on items that meet the criteria for nonmachinable letters but are sent as first class parcels. Have seen numeous posts recently wehre mailers that are 6" x 6" and under a 1/4" inch that have been shipped as first class parcels, and either were returned to sender postage due priority rate or delivered to the buyer postage due priroity rate.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The post office is cracking down on items that meet the criteria for nonmachinable letters but are sent as first class parcels. Have seen numeous posts recently wehre mailers that are 6" x 6" and under a 1/4" inch that have been shipped as first class parcels, and either were returned to sender postage due priority rate or delivered to the buyer postage due priroity rate.

Good! why should i follow the rules (and pay $2.60) and others get away with it. This is a trick that a postal worker told me to make a 1st class envelope a 1st class package with tracking. (I ship many things that are very thin and would not pass) When all is ready to ship I add 5-6 fat packaging foam p-nuts. It does not add any weight but makes my 49¢ letter into a $2.60 package with tracking.

I need to have tracking to prove I shipped the product. That way a scammer can not say they never got it. That $2.60 + 26¢ is built into the sale price.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys in the USA have it good, in order for we Canadians to get tracking it cost a min of like $15 and up to the USA. Light packet to the USA is $6 ish and up without tracking, letter mail to the USA is $1.80 and up is supposed to be used only for paper/documents etc but I know some people send a coin or 2 or other thin metal objects via letter mail, but they are not supposed too.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys in the USA have it good, in order for we Canadians to get tracking it cost a min of like $15 and up to the USA. Light packet to the USA is $6 ish and up without tracking, letter mail to the USA is $1.80 and up is supposed to be used only for paper/documents etc but I know some people send a coin or 2 or other thin metal objects via letter mail, but they are not supposed too.

Yes, but the reverse is true if we send something to Canada. I had a Canadian buyer use the buy it now even though my I had the auction set for no international shipping. It was for a fairly heavy manual. Cheap to ship via media mail in the U.S., but would have cost $38 to send to Canada.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread