Potentially a pilgrim badge?

orangenewt

Jul 21, 2022
Initially I thought this was a brooch of some sort but now the religious iconography has me thinking it's possible this may be a pilgrim badge. I noticed the angel has a dagger in at least one hand (left in the photo). It seemed strange to me for an angel to be depicted as violent like that - violent angels tend to be a more common theme further back in history. Is there any chance this is Archangel Zadkiel? And then I came across this collection in British Museum of "pilgrim badges" that looks extremely similar to what I found. I'm thinking this is potentially as old as 15-16th century. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• angel_front.jpg
    angel_front.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 125
  • angel_back.jpg
    angel_back.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 5

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you in Europe? It very well could be, from what I read. Your find is crudely made, and is corroding, and I understand they were made out of whatever mixture of scrap metals that were available. Tourist pieces.

The two holes suggest to me it was mounted on some surface, however, and not likely worn. Just my opinion.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initially I thought this was a brooch of some sort but now the religious iconography has me thinking it's possible this may be a pilgrim badge. I noticed the angel has a dagger in at least one hand (left in the photo). It seemed strange to me for an angel to be depicted as violent like that - violent angels tend to be a more common theme further back in history. Is there any chance this is Archangel Zadkiel? And then I came across this collection in British Museum of "pilgrim badges" that looks extremely similar to what I found. I'm thinking this is potentially as old as 15-16th century. Any thoughts?
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool find for sure

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe used to decorate a coffin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread