What's new

Pre civil war belt buckle

Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
222
Reaction score
1,116
Golden Thread
0
I think this is a $500 find, any experts here have anything they can share ?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1994.webp
    IMG_1994.webp
    2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1997.webp
    IMG_1997.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 21
I found one identical listed on eBay
I saw the one on eBay and it's not in the same condition as yours, it's cracked, missing the attachment point on the back and they are asking almost $700 for it, that being said, not sure it will sell for that price, I think the value you have stated would be good for yours,
 
Nice buckle, certainly something that I probably never dig up here. Congrats

  • Design & Construction: This plate is "die-struck" from rolled copper or brass. It features a patriotic "eagle panoply" design, showing an eagle clutching arrows and an olive branch, typically under a banner with the motto "E PLURIBUS UNUM".
  • Historical Context: These were used by state militia units in the period between the War of 1812 and the start of the Civil War. They were common before standard federal eagle plates became widely manufactured and distributed. Some sources specifically identify this style as associated with the New York Militia.
  • Reverse Features: The back typically has an applied brass tongue and a bar (belt loop), sometimes accompanied by iron keepers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom