Cannonman17
Bronze Member
I collect ancient pottery from all of the North American continent. I recently was able to get a hold of two tripod bowls from an old Californian collection that have poor provenience but were certainly authentic enough. I got them for a price that I thought was OK.. waited a few days and I got them just the other day... you won't believe this. These are pieces often dug up by poor farmers from village sites trying to make a few bucks. Well it looks like the farmer did the restoration on this piece as well... LOL One of the legs was broken off, and apparently missing, so a makeshift one was used instead. It doesn't match at all, not even close... and when I looked at this odd peg leg I thought what in the heck is THAT? two holes in it... so I blew into it thinking perhaps it was a whistle... sure was. It's the broken off mouth piece to some type of flute or whistle and was just glued on this pot as a leg!! Makes a great sound, very clear and crisp. Just for the record....if any of you out there have any pottery that you would ever want to sell or TRADE.... let me know, I collect just about everything, but coins and pottery are my number 1!
Attachments
Upvote
0
I know for a fact you know a lot more about pottery than I do but I have to respectfully disagree with the leg on this tripod having been the rattle foot from another pot. The one hole is punched in on an angle purposely to create the angle needed to make it whistle. I wish you could see it first hand. The hole on the end is perfectly round.. which isn't anything out of the ordinary but why wouldn't both the holes be made the same..I'm going to have to try and get a close up of what I'm talking about and post it... I had no idea that you collected the South American stuff also! I would like to see that. Wait until I get my most recent acquisition... a Moche trophy head "jar". I'll post a pic as soon as I get it.







