PRE WW2 DEPRESSION ERA NEW DEAL RELIC

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I embarked on a mission with TNet Stealth member, Rob, aka: andre1002 on Thursday. The Mission? Find a new hunting spot for coins, Gold Nuggets, Relics or anything whatsoever, somewhat near my home in the Southern end of the Mother Lode. We drove out in the sticks and picked a spot. After an hour or so, with no meaningful finds, we moved to spot two. Again, nothing meaningful. I'm pretty sure we were at least 3 hours of hunting and getting flusters. So we move to spot three, and again, finding nothing meaningful, but trash that wasn't present at the first two sites. Rob finds a few items, like an old Chisel. I'm not finding anything. After about an hour and a half, and burning sunlight fast. We meat up close to where we started at on site 3. We begin swinging a slow path toward the car, when, bamo. A huge area lights up my MXT Pro. Great, betcha a pile of cans buried in one spot. But I'll dig them all just because it's better than a stick in the eye. Rotted tin can after rotted tin can, I painfully pull from the whole. As I dug deeper, I noticed the unmistakable signs of a burn pit. The signals continued each time a pulled what I thought was the end of it. Finally, I caught the edge of something bigger than a tine can. I slowly worked around it until I could free all sides. As I pulled it out, I could see the slight signs of what I believed to be an old license plate. That sent me into excited mode. But it wasn't just an old license plate. It was much bigger. As I wiped the dirt from it, this is what I saw.

Plate_3.jpg
Plate_2.jpg
Plate_1.jpg

Civilian Conservation Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families as part of the New Deal. Originally for young men ages 18–23, it was eventually expanded to young men ages 17-28.[1] Robert Fechner was the head of the agency. It was a major part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal that provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state and local governments. The CCC was designed to provide jobs for young men, to relieve families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression in the United States while at the same time implementing a general natural resource conservation program in every state and territory. Maximum enrollment at any one time was 300,000; in nine years 3 million young men participated in the CCC, which provided them with shelter, clothing, and food, together with a small wage of $30 a month ($25 of which had to be sent home to their families).[2]

Franklin D Roosevelt's Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) Placard.

"The Emergency Conservation Work Act was the first major work relief act passed as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal programs. Sometimes referred to as the Reforestation Relief Act, the legislation provided for the creation of a government agency that would put unemployed people to work developing conservation infrastructure on lands owned by the federal, state, and local governments. The following is the text of the legislation, which was approved by Congress on March 31, 1933, and signed into law by Roosevelt."
ABC-CLIO SCHOOLS

The program lasted only 9 years and eventually took backseat to the war effort.

I have found NO OTHER examples of this placard online. I am happy as a clam to have saved it from becoming a piece of rotten metal.

I will be returning to that site soon. Possibly with a sifter.

Thanks for sharing my excitement.
HH
MariposaGold.

Upvote 7

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello mariposagold. Real nice save. It's great to find items like that with a bit of history attached.

There are a lot of CCC related projects scattered around the nation, I have noted many in our national parks and monuments.

Thanks for the post and good luck. C9

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is really cool. send pl8man a message to come look at this. he could probably give you an idea what it might be worth. it's in really nice shape in spite of having been buried

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the history nice find

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is really cool. send pl8man a message to come look at this. he could probably give you an idea what it might be worth. it's in really nice shape in spite of having been buried

Sent Glen a message. I'd be interested in what he as to say about it. Hadn't thought of it in terms of value yet. But it would sure be nice fully restored. It was in a burn pit, so signs of paint blistering are present. This is certainly in my top 5 relics to date. As far as unique, its top dog. Woof.

MariposaGold

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one outstanding relic, I love the old signs/plates/etc......Really like the look of that one (plus my Grandpa worked for the CCC for awhile, I still have his footlocker with his CCC unit number stenciled on it.) Great recovery on that one, I am sure it will be treasured!!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the plate Man and I can't find a license plate :laughing7: ! Great find , it will look cool up on the garage wall ! :thumbsup: Not much value in that condition , but who cares it's cool ! I had a CCC plate in my collection back in the 1990's . I sold it for about $25.00 back then .
Glen

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread