Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No such thing. If its not waterproof from the factory, nothing you do will change that. Its not even a "waterproof" design, its more of a splash and rain-proof design. Most dont have any problem from wading and just getting the controls under water but some do. I think the biggest problem is their pressure relief port, but if you go messing with that you are going to 1- void your warranty and 2- likely break a seal elsewhere in the head when it heats up and the pressure cant escape.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My method of waterproofing my 800 is simple = I don't stick it in the water! That's what my Excal is for....

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could try coating the control box with silicone then triple wrapping with plastic and duct tape.

Seriously, there is nothing that can be done except to pray before each use. The 1 precaution you could take which may or may not do any good is splash a little water on it before use to try to lessen the temperature shock it undergoes coming from a hot vehicle into hot air into cool/cold water

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To tell if its a good one or not you have to use it in the water. The sooner you start the better you'll be with the warranty. I bought mine and have used it regularly in the water with out a problem. This is why we buy a waterproof machine to use it

OP
OP
A

Attakpilot

Aug 8, 2020
FL East Coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Pulsedive
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had mine in the water to 3-4 feet, didn’t see any problems right away. Now however the settings button is stubborn and I’ve wondered if the water had anything to do with it. Yes I have Excals available but not always with me, the rub is the fact ML says it’s waterproof. Was just wondering if they had changed the paper in the relief port to something else or if anything else could be done. No I am not going to fill my port with silicone.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the rub is the fact ML says it’s waterproof. Was just wondering if they had changed the paper in the relief port to something else or if anything else could be done. No I am not going to fill my port with silicone.

And if I flap my arms hard enough I can fly. They are water resistant. It's been pretty well proven they are not waterproof, much to many folks dismay. Just ask Calabash who probably has the record for drowned machines. There is no way you can do anything to your machine to make it waterproof. So...watch to see when the warrenty runs out, do what you will with it until that time is close, and then keep it away from water, just like the Gremlins in the Gremlin movie.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve had mine in the water to 3-4 feet, didn’t see any problems right away. Now however the settings button is stubborn and I’ve wondered if the water had anything to do with it. Yes I have Excals available but not always with me, the rub is the fact ML says it’s waterproof. Was just wondering if they had changed the paper in the relief port to something else or if anything else could be done. No I am not going to fill my port with silicone.

Seriously, the relief port is a paper membrane or something similar? That is ridiculous. Why didn't they use a thin layer of silicone material or teflon? Paper.. hahahaha that explains a lot.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens... IMO...

When using a detector in the sun / warm / hot... components and housing expands...

Then when submerged in water the immediate cooling shrinks creating a vacuum / suction... drawing in water in the process.

This is my opinion on devices that are not submerged deep as some have stated in other places.

NOW... IF...

Device is fully submerged and is taken deeper than recommended... then of course the pressure will lead to an intrusion.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right AARC. I have left numerous machines in the vehicles year round, my poor Cibola finally got removed from the truck after about 9 months. It works perfectly but they are not meant to go underwater. It's unfortunate this stuff happens. Leaves buyers with a bad taste in their mouth and suspicious in the future.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 800 is currently in Pennsylvanian being warrantied for water egress, I hunt shallow waters usually no more then knee deep my detector is in and out of the water all day long to hunt these places with a PI machine I think would be difficult, the plus side was the machine never quit and I didnt notice the water till I was packing up, Iv pry had around 70 hours in the water with the 800...

I feel like when it gets closer to warranty running out I may have to sell it and get a new one with a new warranty....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, the relief port is a paper membrane or something similar? That is ridiculous. Why didn't they use a thin layer of silicone material or teflon? Paper.. hahahaha that explains a lot.

No, its not paper. sheesh.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, its not paper. sheesh.

Laying all jokes aside here, Is there anyone who has actually dissected the Equinox? If so, did they notice something that was perhaps a weak point in the waterproofing scheme of things?
It has to be something really small and simple going on to cause these reports of water entry.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laying all jokes aside here, Is there anyone who has actually dissected the Equinox? If so, did they notice something that was perhaps a weak point in the waterproofing scheme of things?
It has to be something really small and simple going on to cause these reports of water entry.

If it was small and simple don't you think minelab would have made a move to fix it by now ? No one but ML repair people know for sure, I think it stands to reason water egresses through the keys and/or around the large LCD.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 800 is currently in Pennsylvanian being warrantied for water egress, I hunt shallow waters usually no more then knee deep my detector is in and out of the water all day long to hunt these places with a PI machine I think would be difficult, the plus side was the machine never quit and I didnt notice the water till I was packing up, Iv pry had around 70 hours in the water with the 800...

I feel like when it gets closer to warranty running out I may have to sell it and get a new one with a new warranty....

20200801_201339.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From this picture... I would bet my "hunch" / theory is near... or correct.

Notice the intrusion entrance.

This would almost IMO definitely point to a "flex"... allowing seal to also flex... allowing water to enter.

Remember this old saying... which is absolute truth...

"Water WILL find a way".

In THIS instance I would call into factor of... Screen materials being "too thin".

Not able to resist flex.

ALSO...

It may be due to pressure from thumb... when materials are repeatably pressed the flex over time more and more / too hard etc..... again... too thin.

And example of where the matter of designing a lightweight head sacrificed the overall quality... OR they cheapened this factor.

THEN... there is the "X" factor... heh

Which could stem from BOTH things...IN combo... "heat AND flex wear"

BUT and PS...

I have yet to even hold one of these detectors in my hand so... I really cannot vouch for the overall quality of build and materials used.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From this picture... I would bet my "hunch" / theory is near... or correct.

Notice the intrusion entrance.

This would almost IMO definitely point to a "flex"... allowing seal to also flex... allowing water to enter.

Remember this old saying... which is absolute truth...

"Water WILL find a way".

In THIS instance I would call into factor of... Screen materials being "too thin".

Not able to resist flex.

ALSO...

It may be due to pressure from thumb... when materials are repeatably pressed the flex over time more and more / too hard etc..... again... too thin.

And example of where the matter of designing a lightweight head sacrificed the overall quality... OR they cheapened this factor.

THEN... there is the "X" factor... heh

Which could stem from BOTH things...IN combo... "heat AND flex wear"

BUT and PS...

I have yet to even hold one of these detectors in my hand so... I really cannot vouch for the overall quality of build and materials used.

It was a warm one that day...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well TC... I have been surrounded by water ... fighting it my whole life it seems. heh

I have had more crap ruined by water I cannot even begin.

I even lost a MARK 2 once... which I attributed to a "sun dunk"... or bad seal... but... it was a bad day... and what made that instance worse and stand out in my mind was...

I did not catch it for a week AFTER I used it last... which... caused absolute havoc inside unit.... one word... TOAST.

An extreme change in temp will always cause anything and all things to flex... AKA stress.

And if water is involved... unless its built well to comp this... you will get intrusion.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally guys... IF I owned one of these detectors... I would take a ziplock bag.. zip tie and some 2 inch electrical tape to it before dunking just to be safe... if done right you will have no intrusion and still be able to see screen and use controls.

Extra measure could save the hassles.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a thicker seal would do the trick, might allow for more heat flex hard saying...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread