Prehistoric Antiquities Quarterly Magazine

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As of two years ago, they were still publishing. I subscribed in the 90's. Long after I no longer subscribed, I would receive a complimentary copy in the mail. Last time was about 2 years ago.

They have a Facebook page, but it is basically blank. And I can find no page offering subscriptions. Did find a listing with phone number for the magazine, but it would not surprise me if it is not published any longer. For those unfamiliar, it's a trade magazine with a few articles, and mostly display ads for artifact dealers. Certainly, the Internet endangers such publications.....

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't see it in a while so I'm not sure. I did a search and they still have a web site so I would guess they still do the magazine, but like Charl said I could find no info to subscribe to it anywhere. Just a number to call.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
what is the URL of the web site? I searched and did not find a site. It used to be thepaq.com, but that is non functioning.

Gilbert Cooper bought the magazine a number of year back from Bill and Linda Ballinger who now publish the Collectors of Historic and Prehistoric Artifacts. Last I heard Gilbert's son was operating the PAQ.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think it stopped for a while and came out as a website or emagazine and kind of died off from there. It was an important venue in the Midwest when the Weidner's owned it and it kind of went downhill from there, not because of the ownership, simply because of technology and how people communicated.

I had to repack some boxes of books this summer, and I ended up flipping through some of my old ones from the late 80's when it was still a newspaper style format. Man, that was the Wild Wild West as far as authenticity of some relics. A lot of it was built on relationships built in person at shows, but buying artifacts based off a 3 inch black & white picture printed on newsprint and sending a check through the mail was amazing.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it stopped for a while and came out as a website or emagazine and kind of died off from there. It was an important venue in the Midwest when the Weidner's owned it and it kind of went downhill from there, not because of the ownership, simply because of technology and how people communicated.

I had to repack some boxes of books this summer, and I ended up flipping through some of my old ones from the late 80's when it was still a newspaper style format. Man, that was the Wild Wild West as far as authenticity of some relics. A lot of it was built on relationships built in person at shows, but buying artifacts based off a 3 inch black & white picture printed on newsprint and sending a check through the mail was amazing.

It was indeed the wild, Wild West. I got drawn into a situation that took me a little while to "escape", i.e. wake up from, lol. Namely, from one of the major dealers, to paraphrase, "sure, you want artifacts from your home state, sure no problem". Yep, it really is "no problem" when the dealer just writes a location from your home state on the relic. Thus I was introduced to the existence of "fake provenance" as another way of cheating collectors out of their money.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a 800 number for the Magazine. I just talked to them, they said there is an issue with their website but the magazine is still produced, here is number to call to order. 800-272-9162. $25.00 per year subscription or 2 years for $45.00. PAQ,PO box 100, Winchester, Ohio 45697.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread