Preserving a relic for outdoors

H

Holly_squirrel

Found a section of iron victorian fencing and have spent a great deal of time cleaning the corroded rust off of it. But I want to use it as decoration outside in a flowerbed. There are a few parts where the iron is alittle delicate . After spending all that time restoring it , it seems silly to spray it with rustolium spray paint... But I want it protected as best as it can be... It's dated from mid 1800's - 1880's. so it's not something I want to have to trash in 10 years.

image-3850312618.jpg

This was it halfway through cleaning process.

Upvote 0

blackbeard81

Dec 8, 2012
Dillsburg Pa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something else you could look in to is having it sand blasted but as old as it is,that's probably not a good idea.And that's an awesome find I would defiantly do something like that.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evaporust, POR15, and then whatever color you want to paint it.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
powdercoat it black

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Look at it this way, It was originally painted black or white. I have seen many of them in the old days. So, the problem is preservation. If you have gotten off all the rust you can, paint it with rustolium rust killing primer and then 2 or3 coats of rustolium flat black. That should hold up for quite some time.
PS. I usually wire brush and/or sandblast to remove rust depending on condition. Nice find! Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Yeah I guess it was painted before , now that you mention it .. Powder coating it black sounds nice.. Bet my dad could do that for me at work. Oh yes , I've been using a wire brush on a drill to sand it.. That's why the iron is eating my skin off .. Lol

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I guess it was painted before , now that you mention it .. Powder coating it black sounds nice.. Bet my dad could do that for me at work. Oh yes , I've been using a wire brush on a drill to sand it.. That's why the iron is eating my skin off .. Lol

Unless all the rust gone, nothing will stick to it long term. There is rust converter, that changes rust chemically to an inert substance. I would clean it as best you can, coat it with rust converter, then a rust encapsulator, then spray paint over that. Powder coating will make it look too modern. In my opinion.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

BryanM362 said:
Unless all the rust gone, nothing will stick to it long term. There is rust converter, that changes rust chemically to an inert substance. I would clean it as best you can, coat it with rust converter, then a rust encapsulator, then spray paint over that. Powder coating will make it look too modern. In my opinion.

I may just ship it to you at this point , and pay you to do it. Lol My hands look like a lizard from this fence. It needs a converter and encapsular , you think? Next it's gonna need a carburetor and New steering column .. :)

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may just ship it to you at this point , and pay you to do it. Lol My hands look like a lizard from this fence. It needs a converter and encapsular , you think? Next it's gonna need a carburetor and New steering column .. :)

You funny!

Not as hard as it sounds! You can buy the converter at Lowes, or Home Depot. Not sure about the encapsulator, but I know most auto parts stores have it. Can prolly get them both in a spray can too. Make sure you use a resperator, of some sort. Then fumes aren't good for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread