What's new

Pretty sure this is a Bronze Age spearhead

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2011
Messages
1,734
Reaction score
2,760
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, Nokta Triple Score, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this several years ago not knowing what it was. I found it near a foxhole at an undisclosed location so I was thinking either a guidon tip, a spearhead, some sort of finial or perhaps some other modern military item. I just was not sure. Well after recently seeing an exact spearhead on a YouTube video and several searches on Google after the fact, I am almost certain this find is a Bronze Age spearhead. I do not know anything about Bronze Age relics and I do not see an area for discussions on Bronze Age items but if anybody knows more about it, please chime in. Thanks.

***I believe the spearhead may be from 800-600 BC but that is pure speculation after looking at some Google images.
 

Attachments

  • Spearhead.webp
    Spearhead.webp
    258.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Spearhead1.webp
    Spearhead1.webp
    91.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Spearhead2.webp
    Spearhead2.webp
    134 KB · Views: 108
  • Spearhead3.webp
    Spearhead3.webp
    109.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Interesting and old find, congratulation! :occasion14:
 
Not many seen with a fixing hole, but few are made this way. Looks like you took a very rare find home. Congrats! I would be over the moon finding Bronze Age im my area...

Oh, i would date it 1200-800 BC, but could be much older!
Just found a similar spearhead dating 2500BC. https://www.ma-shops.de/jacquier/item.php5?id=2613
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure but did the WWII Armies in Europe use guidon's while marching? The fixing hole is why I' asking. Possibly WWI
 
Cool find, but the hole is throwing a ??? in it, seems too machined.
 
I'm not sure but did the WWII Armies in Europe use guidon's while marching? The fixing hole is why I' asking. Possibly WWI

Not sure if they used guidon's or not. It was just one of the many ideas which came into my head of what it could be when I found it. But after researching Bronze Age spearheads on multiple sites, I'm almost positive it is one.
 
Cool find, but the hole is throwing a ??? in it, seems too machined.

I was skeptical at first too but after looking at many different styles of Bronze Age spearheads, you'll see that some of them do have fixing holes on them. The first site is hard to spot the fixing hole but you can barely see it in the first photo.

https://www.theantiquescentreyork.co.uk/a-bronze-age-spear-head
https://antiquities.co.uk/bronze-age-spear-head.html
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bronze_Age_spear_head_(FindID_609839).jpg
 
Not many seen with a fixing hole, but few are made this way. Looks like you took a very rare find home. Congrats! I would be over the moon finding Bronze Age im my area...

Oh, i would date it 1200-800 BC, but could be much older!
Just found a similar spearhead dating 2500BC. https://www.ma-shops.de/jacquier/item.php5?id=2613

Believe me when I say I am ecstatic about this find. I wish it was more complete but this one is still in nice shape. The thought of it being 3,000 years old is just amazing.
 
Yeap bronze age spear head.
 
Nice find there.
 
Thread moved to General Forum, "Today's Finds" forum is reserved for today's finds.
 
Amazing finds ... Thanks for the great post!!!!​
 
I learn something every day. Fixing hole.:icon_thumleft:
Marvin
 
Was it found overseas (Europe or Asia) or in the Americas?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom