Pretty sure this is an arrowhead. Am I right or wrong?

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first, I thought that this was just a flat rock. It is not sharp and it has no notches in the rear. But then...... I noticed that the center on both sides is raised (is that fluted?) and... after observing it under magnification, it appears that the sides have been flaked. Am I dreaming or have any of you seen a point like this? All opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• Greystone1.jpg
    Greystone1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 622
  • greystone2.jpg
    greystone2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 632
  • greystone3.jpg
    greystone3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 622
  • greystone4.jpg
    greystone4.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Cannonman17 said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Beano says it's an artifact!!! Good enough for me!!! Damned be the evidence, and blury pics!! It MUST be one because I said it was NOT one- typical beano style rational. What do you think it is beano? Do you think it's PALEO????!??!!!!??... probably a Paleo period knife, rare find indeed, and from a material so rare... WOW!!! What age do you think that piece is beano? Probably predates any other known find ever eh? Tell us about it oh great creator of gas... bean man. It's probably so old that the flaking scars just wore right off!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done here. Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand people spreading a bunch of info around this forum like a farmer in spring spreading something else. Beano, you are an idiot and that's all there is to it. You came on this forum a year ago a newbie and now think you are an expert except you still haven't learned to tell the difference between a rock and an artifact... that doesn't bother you though... you'll keep on walking around the forum blindly telling everybody that everything they find is an artifact, never mind that guy in the corner who actually taught archaeology classes at an University... never mind that guy who was given credit in a book published by his professor for lithic typology analysis, never mind the guy who has been hunting artifacts constantly for the last twenty years, never mind the guy who delved so deeply into the subject that he taught himself how to make the artifacts in the old ways without help or teaching from anybody esle, yes, never mind that guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about, never mind all the other people on here with all their years and years of experience from all over the country, never mind the guys who go looking constantly and attend every artifact show within a hundred miles, never mind the guys on here that go and give talks to kids at the schools and volunteer their time to teach, never mind any of them, all hail the great beano, master of all lithic typologies and chief director of turning ordinary rocks into museum piece

Two Thumbs Up Cannon!!!!!!
You don,t know sqat bout nothin
LOL!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!
Jeff

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Hey Air-
I feel for you. I really do. I've been hunting for several years now-- not long at all compared to many/most on this forum, and although I've learned a ton-- a TON of information from this site and a couple books, I know full well I don't really know anything well enough to share my opinions with fellow hunters here. Yes, I've realized that many 'points' are, in fact, knives- and I know how to figure that out through thorough inspection. I know a couple names of varieties. But that doesn't really amount to a hill of beans. What I DO know is that this area was swarming w/ various tribes and factions of tribes. I know that I've found several 'eras' of point forms. And I know that every time I find a decent place to hunt- complete w/ flakes and 'tool rocks', points and unidentifiables, that my feet are surely treading on layers of artifacts I simply can't see/can't indentify. I pick a LOT of stuff up. I have the obvious items in a case-- the most interesting/beautiful-- and OBVIOUS stuff. Then there's the 'study box'-- that's where the items go that I'm QUITE sure are SOMEthing, but I don't know what... or the blades/points/knives that are worn to death- by irrosion/dock or piling construction, or whatever natural or man-made impact. Then there's the big flower pot. That's where the barely discernable stuff goes, flakes, oddly worn rocks and the like. After as much scrutiny, the rest goes into the garden, around the flower beds and shrubs (good as mulch to keep moisture in the soil during our typical drought periods during the summer months). As time goes by, and I learn more on the subject, some itmes move from one box or pot to another. I find a lot of what I call 'tools of convenience'-- stuff that has a break on one side and maybe 'work' on the other-- regardless of lack of finess, it could have been used for something-- a lot of rocks could have been used for SOMEthing. But I wouldn't put them in my display box. They sit on a bench in the back yard until someone tells me if it's worth it to keep it or not. And I'm constantly self-editing, and the gardens fill out with rocks more every day.
There's a fair amount of inherent confusion with this hobby. At least when it comes to the less obvious artifacts and relics. Paleo tools can be as simple as a rock w/ two chunks broken off to create an edge. But that also ID's a lot of natural formations. Rocks hit other rocks and break. Simple as that. Only the professionals know for sure, and I'll leave the speculating to them. As for me and my crazed collecting habits-- I try hard not to read too much into what I find. If it's a tool of convenience, I'll leave it where I found it (I should add that when I started finding things, I brought just about EVERYthing home). I'm more decriminating now, and only pick up (and take home) what I'm quite sure I can ID as native artifact.
Something which has helped me a great deal is looking at other sites on line. I know it's not a good way to figure the VALUE of something, but you can see an array of items from all over the country-- from all sorts of knappable stone, to ground stone tools (hammers, axes, morters and pestles, etc), to pottery and so on. The more I look at, the more I can ID in the field. The more I see a rock that's papered- and looks like such and such, the more I understand what I'm seeing when I'm out hunting.
So, be of good cheer and keep those eyes open. Spend a little time each day reading, checking out sites on line. Then go out and have some fun. If you think you might have something, keep it (on a bench in the back yard) until you know otherwise. Time and research provide wisdom. My imagination is way to vast, and I live with piles of rocks which I swear must be something (I say to myself, 'rocks just don't grow like that...'), but I don't fester over them. I just wait. Wait until I know more-- or until someone who already knows more tells me I'm an idiot. And I don't mind being an idiot-- for a while, at least. Until I learn more and know better.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airborn, That's a very worn Guilford, I have lots from perfect to worn, good find again, well done. Don't be discouraged what certain ppl say, you are doing great.

Molly :)

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Molly......... nice of you to post that :)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a worn Guilford.

Molly.

Attachments

• Guilford..jpg
    Guilford..jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 239
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would love it either way. Thank you for sharing it. It gives me more reference when I am looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread