Previous days - wheaties, sweeties, and treaties

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I've actually been out probably 4 or 5 days in a row and so it's getting confusing what I found when.

I had been having a drought of silver - couldn't get anything that shines for the longest time. Then the last two hunts I broke the curse and got 2 dimes one day, one dime the next.

First time 'round the wheatie tree got me several - in total that day I got 10 wheaties. Also got the cool looking Luxor lid - possibly a ladies compact make-up thing?

The E button is possibly from a band uniform. I like how the ladies gracefully curve around each side of the E.

The silver looking thing beneath the quarter and dime is a two sided Chicago medal which was probably something from a tourist novelty or maybe there was a small cord running through it because there was a hole at the top and bottom edge - could have been on a jacket zipper.

The sweeties turned up after the hunt round the wheatie tree. My mom always told me never take candy from strangers but these young girls were nice and polite and fundraising for their little sister's school so I opted for the nutty one and Lowbatts wanted Carmella. Chocolate Bars of course. Also got a crusty cup - maybe a tricycle/bicycle hub cap, and a campaign pin with no wording left on it, a 1985 Canadian penny.

The second trip round the wheatie tree, and regions beyond, resulted in the one silver dime, the 45 Cal. bullet, 5 wheaties (1918, 1934, 1940, 1956D, 1958D) 11 mem cents, 4 clad quarters, one nickel and two clad dimes. Also got two Elgin Watch faces. The larger one still had some of the white porcelain enamel on the other side but I didn't pay attention to that when I photographed it - oops.
Got the 1893 Indian Head which cleaned up pretty good with just detergent and water and toothbrush but there was some stuff that didn't come off so I thought, lemon juice. All I did was dip the toothbrush in the lemon juice and scrub it for maybe 30 seconds each side and it was starting to get too red and rough feeling so I stopped and rinsed it off. No more lemon juice for cleaning coins that look nice to begin with!

As always, it was fun getting out to dig with Lowbatts and Mikey!

Attachments

• 11-07-09.jpg
    11-07-09.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 11-08-09.jpg
    11-08-09.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1893IH.jpg
    1893IH.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 112
  • E-button.jpg
    E-button.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Luxor.jpg
    Luxor.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 133

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo, nice stuff!

I love those big 'ol trees. . . I found my first IH under one.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo...

Big Congrats on getting out of your silver drought...I know how that feels ( way to many times )

IH :thumbsup:

Here's a HI HO SILVER too

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Jeeeze! How big is that wheatie tree? Any room for me under there? Great hunting and congrats on the shineys. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah Mayo, you out did me all around but I gotta add three wheaties from the tree yesterday. 1910, 1919 and a '44. We've gotta get back there and get the rest before it gets cold but I'm taking a break for some much "kneeded" totlot clad today and tomorrow.

Too much time leaning and kneeling just beats these joints into submission. Lemme know how you're set for Wednesday, weather permitting of course.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Nice finds, Mayo. It's good to see a lot of you guys digging IH's...my goal was 10 for the year but if I can find just one more, that would be awesome.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread