What's new

So Slow in Florida I got Excited about Mercury Dime

LawrencetheMDer

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
2,979
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio and Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore w M8, M11 and M15 coils, , Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, it is slow here in Florida because of cold weather and no one is going to the beach or into the 53 deg cold water. But to come across a target more rare than a gold ring was a real smile maker. I rarely come across Mercury dimes; so far this season (Dec - Apr) I found 186 dimes, one Merc and two gold rings. Missed hunting last year and in my 2023-2024 season I found 535 dimes, no silver dimes and 11 gold rings. Get the picture? Merc dimes are really rare at least for me and to finally come across one put a big smile on my face. I guess it is a bucket find… The kicker is that I didn’t know it was a Merc until I got home and laid out my finds; only then because I always search for silver. Sure, the Merc is so worn that I can’t make out the date (1919? Fair 2?) but it is still a piece of silver and a Merc on the west coast of Florida.

The 1948-D wheatie is also rare on my beaches, out of 365 cents this season so far 3 have been wheaties. Did I mention Sheldon w found Pull-tab necklace, contains 17 original Pull-tabs...it rang up as a really big Pull-tab! lol

Happy Hunting

Merc and Wheatie 021126.webp
Merc w Wheatie Reverse 021126.webp

Sheldon w Pull tab Necklace.webp
 

Attachments

  • Sheldon w Pull tab Necklace.webp
    Sheldon w Pull tab Necklace.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
Melt is about 5 dollars so not a bad find at all. Here where I hunt if Im finding silver its a great sign gold is in the mix some where. I would keep a eye on that area, you never know.
 
I should make one of those pull-tab necklaces for my dog. They're everywhere, they follow me, I can't escape them, I'm gonna have nightmares, lol. Last Spring, the wife asked me to dig a few holes in front of the house so she could plant flowers. So, I grab a 3-prong small rake and start digging some holes. In one hole I went deep, and when I pulled up the small rake from the dirt, guess what was stuck through one of the prongs? Good grief, how the heck did a pull-tab get in the flower bed dirt? :icon_scratch:

1771604707451.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom