Price of tin going back down...

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
BCR said:
Price of tin up here has gone back down to $55/nt down from $80/nt about a month ago...

I got .37lb for old sheet yesterday.

This figure not look right as seems way too high at 37cents / lb for old sheet tin roofing iron
This is $0.37 X 2240 = $829 / ton

$55 / ton = 2 1/2 cents a lb
two and a half cents

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
one of my army buddies told me that steel went back up here in indiana to 120 a ton from 60..............anyone else in indiana know?

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Hi Pigiron, fellow Melbournian here.
Was talking to a mate who owns his own steel fab business.
He says he's only getting $38 per ton for his scrap steel.
Pretty crappy price compared to six months ago, hows that compare with what your getting?

Cheers.

Lou.

OP
OP
B

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
Where I am the yard has the following classifications for aluminum.. old sheet, cast and extrusion plus popcans.

So when I am referring to oldsheet.. it means aluminum and I got .37cents/lb :thumbsup:

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lou from downunder said:
Hi Pigiron, fellow Melbournian here.
Was talking to a mate who owns his own steel fab business.
He says he's only getting $38 per ton for his scrap steel.
Pretty crappy price compared to six months ago, hows that compare with what your getting?

Cheers.

Lou.
Hi Lou,
Just checked Sims Metal and pressed steel ( the lowest grade ie white goods and shreddables) is $100/ton.
Batteries up from 14c/kilo to 20c , PVC copper $1.20/kilo and electric motors 50c/kilo.
Considering , I'm happy with these prices.
Better grade steel gets up to $150/ton.

Tarzan.

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Tarzan eh? Way cooler than Pigiron...lol

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, those prices are'nt to bad considering.
Batteries are my main go, I pick up a few here and there in my job, have sold a few hundred in the last couple of years. Normally sell them X amount per battery, currently I can get $2, but if Sims is buying by the kilo..... I just went and weighed a couple, the small ones were 10 kgs, the bigger ones over 20 kgs.... at 20cents per kg Sims sounds like the way to go.
I've got between 50-60 at the moment but I'm of the belief that prices will continue to improve so will hang onto them for the moment.

Cheers.

Lou.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lou from downunder said:
Tarzan eh? Way cooler than Pigiron...lol

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, those prices are'nt to bad considering.
Batteries are my main go, I pick up a few here and there in my job, have sold a few hundred in the last couple of years. Normally sell them X amount per battery, currently I can get $2, but if Sims is buying by the kilo..... I just went and weighed a couple, the small ones were 10 kgs, the bigger ones over 20 kgs.... at 20cents per kg Sims sounds like the way to go.
I've got between 50-60 at the moment but I'm of the belief that prices will continue to improve so will hang onto them for the moment.

Cheers.

Lou.
By the kilo is always best. Some truck batteries are 50kg monsters but I lug them ok.
I always make sure they are topped up with water to get every cent from the yard.
Batteries are pretty fickle . The highest I got last year was 38cents. 2 weeks ago it was 14 cents.
The prices are revised each week .
Also I've noticed the smaller scrap yards go to Sims but they get dealer prices.
What suburb are you in ?
Tarzan

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
G'day Tarzan,

mate, I'm in Langwarrin, thats between Frankston and Cranbourne.
Just out of curiosity I rang Sims {the old Menzies Metals yard in Seaford} and spoke to a guy called Tony.
He quoted me $280 per ton so obviously thats 28c per kg. Told me that the price is reviewed every fortnight. Seems to be heading the right way at the moment.
What part of Melb do you hail from?

Lou.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lou from downunder said:
G'day Tarzan,

mate, I'm in Langwarrin, thats between Frankston and Cranbourne.
Just out of curiosity I rang Sims {the old Menzies Metals yard in Seaford} and spoke to a guy called Tony.
He quoted me $280 per ton so obviously thats 28c per kg. Told me that the price is reviewed every fortnight. Seems to be heading the right way at the moment.
What part of Melb do you hail from?

Lou.
Well there you go Lou and I'm glad to be of some help.
Seaford is close to your home as well. It doesn't take much to make a ton of batteries.
If you can't carry a ton then I'm sure they'll let you make 2 trips.
Don't forget another good earner worth about $5 each , is the microwave.
I'm referring to the up to 10kg transformer which is classed as electic motor about 50c/kg. There's also the small fan and turntable motor.
I find 5 or 6 lying around the streets each week along with fans and vacuum cleaners.

Tarzan

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Lou from downunder said:
Hey Tarzan,

Sims in Seaford are now buying batteries for 32 cents per kg.
Scrap steel, better quality stuff, $160 per ton.

Lou.
Hi Lou, I've checked with Sims in Seaford and their "normal" price this and last week is 24c and $140.
Do you have some special agreement based on qty, family member working there ? Do you collect the GST.
Tarzan

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Mate,

when I first rang Sims some weeks ago the girl on the phone gave me their buyers number.
When I rang him and asked how much he quoted 28c and $150 per ton.
I rang him 2 days ago and asked again, this time 32c and $160 per ton.
Although my enquiry was for batteries by the ton, however he did'nt seem fussed if it was a ton or not.
Try him yourself, his name is Tony, number is 0422 333 223.
I'm self employed and have an ABN and I collect the GST on my scrap sales.
Hope this helps and good luck. Keep me posted.

Lou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread