Price of tin

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada

skippy

Greenie
Aug 2, 2007
I wonder if it doesn't have somthing to do with winter/summer, the volumes in the winter may be less and they may need to offer better prices in winter to keep material coming in. Just a thought.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Cali its $235 a ton but we are close to the smelters....aa

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
In USA when they say TIN , they mean what we call roofing iron which is galvanized ( zinc not tin coated )( anti-rust) steel sheet . Nobody buys the element TIN except a chemist or scientist for experiments.
Pressed steel price from SIMS is $250/ tonne. This is cheapest or lowest grade ) under about 3/8 inch or 8mm.Cast iron because of its high carbon content is also the cheapest regardless of size.
The roofing iron, fridges washing machines ovens or any mixed garbage steel is $250 / tonne (1000 Kg )
Geoff.

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
pigiron said:
In USA when they say TIN , they mean what we call roofing iron which is galvanized ( zinc not tin coated )( anti-rust) steel sheet . Nobody buys the element TIN except a chemist or scientist for experiments.Pressed steel price from SIMS is $250/ tonne. This is cheapest or lowest grade ) under about 3/8 inch or 8mm.Cast iron because of its high carbon content is also the cheapest regardless of size.
The roofing iron, fridges washing machines ovens or any mixed garbage steel is $250 / tonne (1000 Kg )
Geoff.

Sir, I hate to disagree with you, but a lot of places use pure tin..... most regular solder, silver solder, all tin cans are steel that is plated with tin
an many other things.

Most people here in the US call sheet metal tin when it really is not. Heres just a few more uses of it

http://www.corrosionsource.com/handbook/periodic/50.htm

Ron B.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Your quiet right Ron , but from a scrap viewpoint TIN ( the element ) is irrelevant.
Just like a discussion about salvaging platinum or rhodium is meaningless.
Salvaging a Cat.Con. is meaningfull.
Here of course I'm taking, as allways, the standpoint of a scrapmetal collector / processor on a modest" at home" scale/basis.
Geoff

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
pigiron said:
Your quiet right Ron , but from a scrap viewpoint TIN ( the element ) is irrelevant.
Just like a discussion about salvaging platinum or rhodium is meaningless.
Salvaging a Cat.Con. is meaningfull.
Here of course I'm taking, as allways, the standpoint of a scrapmetal collector / processor on a modest" at home" scale/basis.
Geoff

The only reason I said anything, is because I have 50 lb of silver solder that is 96.5 pure tin an 3.5 pure silver I am trying to get rid of. So I have about $528.00 worth of tin and about $500.00 worth of silver in these 2 rolls. :thumbsup:

Ron

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Well Ron as sure as Betsy I would'nt go to a scrap yard with it.
I gather that its provenance is suspect if your having trouble getting rid of it.
Otherwise approach a supplier of it to industry or research, or an end user.

However if I were you I would hoard it under the bed as an investment unless you need the dosh in a hurry.
Geoff

P.S. Lead acid batteries have hit a low of about 7 cents a Lb from a high of 20 cents just before xmas.
The 30 or so I picked up this week will be hoarded but not under the bed.
Geoff

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
Naaaa, I don't need the $ now anyway. Just thought I would sell it to pay for my new MD.
I bought this along with some other junk at a (Yellow Freight) salvage freight sale a coupla years back. I didn't give very much for the whole pallet of junk. This was down towards the bottom under a bunch of pkgs of big steel washers.
I'm sure they would have took it out if they knew it was on that pallet. Or they didn't know what it was worth maybe.

Ronnie :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread