Pro metal detecting bill in KY senate

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
There has been a bill submitted to the KY legislature to permit metal detecting in the state parks. It was submitted by Senator Seum after a meeting with metal detectorist from around Kentucky.

Please help out with this. Contact the senators and voice your support. You can also let them know that you plan your vacations around metal detecting and you may avoid KY if the bill fails.

Emails are great but phone calls are even better.

Here is the senates contact page

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/senate/senmembers.htm

Here is a link to the bill on the website

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/10RS/SB6.htm

And here is the bill – SB6

AN ACT relating to metal detectors in state parks.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:

SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 148 IS CREATED TO READ AS
FOLLOWS:
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Metal detector" means any device that senses the presence of
metals; and
(b) "Unimproved area" means any area that has not been changed through artificial means, but does not include a sand beach used for swimming.
(2) A person may not use a metal detector in unimproved areas of a
state park.
Section 2. KRS 148.991 is amended to read as follows:
(1) Any person who violates subsection (2) of KRS 148.051 shall be
fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars
($100), or imprisoned in jail for not less than one (1) day nor more than ten (10) days or both.
(2) Any person who violates KRS 148.029 or Section 1 of this Act shall be fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(3) Whoever violates, fails, neglects or refuses to obey any provision of KRS 148.610 to 148.780, or regulation, or order of the commissioner may be compelled to comply with or obey the same by injunction, mandamus, or other appropriate remedy; and provided, further, that whoever violates, fails, neglects, or refuses to obey any provision of KRS 148.610 to 148.780, or regulation, or order of the commissioner shall be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for each day of such violation.
(4) Any person who violates any provision of KRS 148.290 shall be
fined not less than ten dollars ($10) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).
(5) Any person who violates KRS 148.290(3), (4), or (5) governing golf cart-type vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, and horse trailers, including administrative regulations promulgated pursuant to that statute, forfeits the rights and privileges, as granted by the commission, of using the vehicle or trailer on State Horse Park property. The executive director of the State Horse Park shall ensure that vehicles or trailers in violation are impounded to the nearest licensed tow company. The owner or operator of such a vehicle or trailer shall pay any and all expenses related to the
vehicle's or trailer's towing and impoundment

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll
Has anyone heard of any updates on this bill. Has it passed yet or what?

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not heard of any updates regarding this bill. I'm looking forward to getting out and ground fish again and read in another thread about someone saying it is illegal to detect on public property. I knew that public parks in Louisville are now off limits as are State Parks in Kentucky. Anyone know if public parks are off limits now? I live in Lexington and go to Jacobson Park and Mary Todd Park. I am curious to know if I can still go. I googled to see if I can find anything and all that comes up is this proposed bill?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far every town we have check In Ky the parks are off limits . So far Ky. has been the worst state we have been in that will not let you detect just about anywhere .
We only go to private property now and go out of state as it is just to much trouble to get through all the mess of laws here . At least in the mid to western parts of the state . And we have called towns and been told we could detect only to get there and then be run off with a threat of a ticket even though we had permission . So you have to be careful as the City's do not know there laws or what is up either , so make sure before you do go out.
We are moving out of state and this is a good thing for us . Lots of good people in Ky but not for our Hobby .

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,

I hope this bill gets passed soon. I have a place to detect but it is about a 30 minute drive to get there and then another 30 minute hike to get where I am going. Makes it hard to check the area out during the week before work but I cant wait till the weather gets better so I can go out there. I have looked at some topos and found some old houses that were there. Last year I found this site old house that had fell down and stayed there for a while. The house had old newspaper lined inbetween the walls. There is a old bridge that goes to the property but if the creek is full theres no way across. The bridge doesnt look safe.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got this email from the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights. detectingrights.com

Congratulations! It really makes a difference when we all stand together. In Kentucky, SB 105 passed in the Senate http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/12rs/SB105.htm and soon this legislation will be brought up for a vote in the House.

Once we have the HB number, we will update the Task Force web site and provide an email link so you can email all of the House Representatives asking them to pass the bill.

Together, our voice is being heard!

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted One said:
I just got this email from the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights. detectingrights.com

Congratulations! It really makes a difference when we all stand together. In Kentucky, SB 105 passed in the Senate http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/12rs/SB105.htm and soon this legislation will be brought up for a vote in the House.

Once we have the HB number, we will update the Task Force web site and provide an email link so you can email all of the House Representatives asking them to pass the bill.

Together, our voice is being heard!

Thanks for the update!

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still has a long way to go, and if you sign up with detectingrights.com they will email you a list of people to send emails to in order to have your voices heard when they get it set up. It still has to go through a few hurdles, and your voices are the only things that will help it jump through them.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I emailed my state representative today. They all need to hear from SUPPORTING citizens on this! The "keep them out" crowds are providing their comments, for sure! Let's fight to allow this recreational activity!!

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proposed bill that can open state parks in Kentucky to the metal detecting hobby has made it to the house, the archaeologist lost the fight in the senate vote and are now they are trying harder to shut this down before it goes any further.

http://detectingrights.com/louisville-ky-needs-your-support.php On this link you will find a link to all of the Kentucky House of Representative email address.

I think this is a great sign of progress, and may benefit everyone in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions