Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Nitric, and as well thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad to be able to share my adventures with others and they are Adventures! I slowly came out west from the Detroit area of Michigan at the age of 12 1/2 yrs and added slowly added new items to my Michigan fishing and camping with my family. In 1961 I teamed up with a fellow from Indiana having met him in High School in Redwood City California. Also in 1961 I had an adventure shared with me about this wild river canyon up north. One trip into that river and I was hooked.

What helped me was having had little nibbles of adventures like friday and saturday night camp outs in back of my buddies house, the family fishing and hunting outings (nothing fancy here!) and of course lots and lots of Ice Skating and playing in the snow. All of these combined gave me some comfort with being in the outdoors.

My first ever backpacking trip was stupid! I was way over tired and after hiking into "The Canyon" I camped in an open sunlit area and Cooked myself. I hiked out the same day. I do not recommend repeating either of those two mistakes as psychologically you are at a significant disadvantage to deal with being "out there". My next trip in I was well rested and everything was spectacular, clear clean water, great fishing, no animal issues, great sunsets, a nice campfire evening spent watching a sky full of stars and a great nights sleep. Each day I would go fishing/exploring along the riverbed where my eyes and brain devoured every twist and turn in the river to where I was excited, and still am, to see what was around the next turn. Simple trips that would build on each other as I explored and tested my abilities. Camping with friends made being in there even more special and then I learned about bringing in a pair of diving goggles to explore the river underwater, even more fun.

Start by being in reasonable physical condition "all over your body", go on simple trips after doing some reading up on car camping, limit the equipment as too much stuff just gets in the way (like my last trip). Go to have fun and learn about the place you are camping at and do what you like to do or do something you've never done before. Keep it simple and have fun! A word of caution - many years ago after marriage had settled in and the first two children were still quite young I took us on a family camping trip. While traveling on this dirt back country road I had a flat tire. Stopping to repair it I found I had TWO flat tires and only one spare. You might consider having two spare tires and good tires on the ground.

Have fun reading about being out there and then have fun being out there!.................63bkpkr

I love camping, in High school my friends and I were out as much as possible, but at that time it was to get away to smoke and hang out with the girls.:laughing7: Before that I was in Scouts and did some of the survival stuff. Like take 3 things, go out into the woods for a night and make it work. Winter stuff too, building igloos to survive if trapped, since they will actually protect you and hold heat. all of that kind of stuff.

We camp on Land In Al, it's not too far in the middle of no where, but far enough that there isn't much around. We primitive camp for the most part. We do sleep in the truck bed with a cap, because I have a very active 3 year old, and my fear is falling asleep and having him get out and leave a tent. It is rough area with 60, to 100 foot straight drops in the woods. It's actually a pretty dangerous property to have him on. But we want to raise him around it so he learns. We just haven't shown him much of that part yet, and make him hold our hands on trails. I took him to one edge that dropped about 40ft, about 8ft off of a trail. He rarely has fear but he started shaking, so I was glad to see that. He wanted nothing to do with it and wanted back up the trail.

The truck one is funny, I was driving out a really rutted road. Trying to straddle the wash outs. I didn't have it in 4 wheel. I was going up a grade, the tires slipped, and the posi kicked in knocking us right in the washout, hump right under the middle of the truck. All I heard from the backseat was this little voice."Uhhh OHHH!" ..It took me a while to dig the diffs, and frame out far enough to get it going back down hill. :laughing7: At one point the way it was wedged in the bank I had to crawl underneath, while digging my way to the front.:laughing7: I got it though!! Swore the whole time! But laughed about it when we got out.

Hopefully, one day I'll make it to Gold country!!!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric, you are already in gold country sharing the outback with your little one! That is some of The Best Time so Well Spent as it will always be there for you your child and your family! Yes sir Golden Memories can not be replaced with wealth. You are wise to sleep in the back of the truck as it keeps the little one safe! Uhhh OHHH is absolutely a precious memory! Thank you for sharing this with us!

You've plenty of introductory camping to work off of and to grow with and likely you may have experienced that not all trips go well or as expected, neither do all of mine! I started simple with summer backpacking/camping trips into the mountains but I was in good physical condition. There was always plenty of water to drink and swim in, plenty of firewood for cooking and sitting around the fire at night and the river to explore along while fishing. Then I met my first rattlesnake, came across my first signs of mining, was introduced to simple prospecting and I started to stretch myself with my exploring. Once when my son was 18 or 19 we were out at one of the spots I'd already been to once, he was standing at the base of a vertical cliff when he shouted back to me "Hey Dad, how do you find these places!? Oh I just go on all day long hikes and explore.

I believe there are amazing sights everywhere just waiting for a person to find them or realize them. Sunlit trees! Sunrises/Sunsets, grand vistas, special shadows, the colors in a rock wall, snorkeling in a river or lake checking out the fish and maybe finding old mining equipment. It is all around us, we just need to put ourselves out there where the beauty is. I started bringing my children with me backpacking into this river canyon when they turned four years of age, I've never regretted doing this with them! My first two children are girls, and girls can do anything! Then the third child was our son and of course boys can do anything as well. I watched my oldest daughter on possibly her fourth or fifth trip in make a sideways cast where she put the lure right in along the angle that the river had carved into the rock wall. It dropped way back in the shadows. As she started the retrieve I saw the spinner sparkle twice and then the jaws of death closed around it. I suspect she hooked a German Brown Trout, we never saw the fish but it did easily break her 8 pound test line. Amazing memories from each and every trip! Keep going for it! And again, thank you for sharing!....................63bkpkr

IMG_4212.JPG

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should write a book! The detail in which you decribe things is what gives the reader that feeling of being there. Reminds me of one of my favorite books. Burning Daylight by Jack London

Once i started reading, i could not put this book down. It starts with gold mining in the Yukon. A 2 person prospecting trip along the Seward. On dog Sled...A bear got to their provisions. Complete disaster and a literal death sentence. From panning the snow to get a little flour water that the bears spread all over the place. To stalking a single squirrel all day for fear of missing one shot could mean death. Then floating down the river after the ice break half dead.

Its fiction but soooo good! Highly recommended!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a show not too long ago, I can't remember the name of it. They drop people off by themselves and who ever made it the longest got the money. I even went in the web site and thought about trying to sign up and writing why they should pick me:laughing7:. After I watched it a few times there were people that tapped out fairly quickly.The one guy wasn't there 3 hours, heard a bear growl and he wanted nothing to do with it anymore! :laughing7: The biggest thing was their own mind!! If you look at it as an adventure? Then it's fun!! If you view it as a problem? Your done! Same thing with Camping in remote area's...A problem is just an adventure! What do I have to use, and how can I get creative. That's part of what I want my son to learn as he's growing up. And your right! The memories that we have so far are priceless!!

Again!! Thanks for taking us with you!! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitric, I've camped and hiked in the remote rugged NFAR canyon country for over fifty years as well as up a bit higher on the flanks of some of its canyons, my camps have never been attacked at night (except for a full package of Fig Newtons having been taken out of my pack as I lay right next to it). Now during the daytime I've had several bear attacks on my camps, equipment and food bags which have caused minor to serious problems not to mention the loss of some expensive to replace hiking gear. My camps have Never been bothered by humans though one year way up high where the car was parked, the car itself was stolen (not by bears).

Then as I've hiked I've come across a lot of bears with some of those events being 'touchy'! I've used my handgun to scare bears out of camp, I've never had to shoot a bear, the noise has been enough to scare them away. Once the scared away bear returned After I'd left camp and it did make a real mess of things.

Camping anywhere near blackberry bushes is a mistake, they are the bears grocery store, and when a hot spell comes along the green berry's ripen quickly and that is a smell the bears know and love. I will never consider stopping going until after my body just can not take it anymore. I will need a couple of operations, knee joints replaced and maybe shoulders being redone so we will see how I recover from them.

Right now it looks like I will be partnering with another fellow, we will start another custom extrusion company aimed at medical device tubing so for the next couple of years I'm going to be busy and may take a little time off to have the first knee done. My mind will always be in the mountains!.............63bkpkr

IMG_4217.JPG This years picture of my noise maker atop my safety rope

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Phooey, I can tell by the weather Up NORCAL way that I will not be going back out into the mountains till next year, snow & Rain, rain & snow and yes the air temperatures are getting lower. Since the new tires for my Bronco Are now the original size again the two sets of chains I'd purchased for the previous tire size do not fit the new tires, my "safety device" no longer fits the vehicle, sigh. Nothing like chains on all four tires for extra traction!

My attempts to locate work (aka - a job ) have come up dry. I may have a meeting on 10 December with a company in Carlsbad Cali. about setting up my extrusion line within the walls of their company so time will tell if that will work out.

Then thanks to Terry Solomon's [terrysknifestore.com) I've a new Silky saw on its way to me (Silky Big Boy). Of course that will be my Christmas Present to myself to be put to use Hopefully this coming season. He can order some very nice, high quality outdoor gear (knives, saws and maybe a few other things [FireSteels maybe]), ask and see if he can fill your needs.

As you can tell I've Not given up on life even though four of six main body joints do have issues with me using them even for simple things let alone for climbing around in the mountains. I totally anticipate surgeries to take care of some of these issues but not yet!

And so that is the latest from my NFAR Adventure posts. More to come, just not yet!..............63bkpkr :hello:

A few miscellaneous pictures:

crossing.jpg Heading to the claim in Alaska

IMG_4195.JPG Things that go bump in the night can also leave traces

IMG_3346.JPG This little nest can be So comfortable & Cozy on a chilly night

IMG_3856.JPG My Twig Stove is still a Virgin, sigh, stupid drought!

IMG_4118.JPG I'm Really Looking forward to using and comparing these GMT coils "out there"!

IMG_4222.jpg STUPID Bypass LOPPER would not cut that 1/4" diameter thing And there was a bunch of the 1/4" stuff to be cut!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Tools for the coming year! Very good prices from terrysknifestore.com!

Silky Big boy 2000 (14.2" blade) IMG_4370.JPG Silky saws come in a variety of sizes with this one Not being for everyone.

With slip case I made for it IMG_4371.JPG Yes, I do own my own sewing machine and run it myself.

4" cutting edge Knife IMG_4372.JPG Sharpens up nicely, can be used for batoning small logs.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool gear 63!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MTTS, yes it is. I'd been thinking about the saw but it was sort of expensive (list price) then I happened to notice Terrys note about his knifes and contacted him about the saw, he sold it to me for 1/3 off the list price (typically he will give steep discounts on known brands, his knives are priced low), so I could not hesitate even though my funds are tight. I'd read various critiques of the Silky saws and regardless of which size saw they all were very sharp, dangerously so. These are no fooling around saws and will cut through anything very quickly. I know what I want to use this saw for, larger wood, as well as one or two heavier plants so it will fit my purposes quite well and with hardened teeth should last a long time as long as I do not bend or break it. I made the sheath as when closed the saw does not have a lock on the blade.

The knife is a different story! He needed to have someone critique the knife as it is the first one off the production line. So I checked it out physically, dimensionally and then tried it on some typical "bushcraft" wood processing chores: splitting small OD logs, making feather sticks (fine fast starting kindling from the center of a log where it could be dry) and whacking/or hacking limbs. It worked quite well, the blade took all the punishment I gave to it so then I touched up some burrs, used automotive rubbing compound on the blade and resharpened it. It sharpened easily and became very sharp, cuts hand held paper. I sent him before and after pictures, included a page or so of my testing notes and comments about the knife and he's sent them off to his knife maker who will incorporate my notes (or at least some of them) into the next version. The cutting length of the blade should be 5" which will change the proportions of the knife so it will have a different look, as pictured the cutting edge is 4".

I hope you've had an overall good year and can look forward to Christmas and the New Year!..............63bkpkr

I am in hopes that I will have myself in much better physical condition in 2019 than I was this year as I would like a nice stay along the river. But I'm also looking for another job and it could be out of the State of Confusion (aka CA), we will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for Grins & Giggles & Possibly some serious thinking

Earlier today (16March2019) I was looking through a bunch of stuff when it dawned on me that I could use the internet to do a little search. I typed in American River Watershed and clicked on search. These are what came up:

IMG_4661.JPG So for the Entire American River Watershed we have the three main rivers as well as all the tributaries, hmm. I've been out on some of these and they are in rough country! Highway 80 is along/above the NFAR. Highway 50 goes right along the South Fork of the American River. The north fork has less water in it than the other two rivers, in the summer after snow melt has calmed down.
The Middle Fork has very little road access up high with good access down lower. The Middle Fork out back of Auburn and on down is heavily claimed! I suspect it is up river as well though I do not know that for a fact. Way back in the upper end of the MFAR (so way back up into its starting area) the shadows thrown by the high canyon walls turn purple before they go black, interesting to see. The MFAR has a lot of water coming down it most of the year. At one point there is a dam on the river which plays heck with people down river from it as the rafters Pay the Dam Control People to let the water out at certain times during the day so their paying customers get a good ride. This canyon is Darned Rugged! This canyon is really wide in several places. Now I've already indicated it has a lot of claims on it, miles and miles of claims on it so anyone going there had better make good and certain where they are going as a person could get themselves into a lot of trouble if they got onto the wrong property! Like Dead in Trouble! Why, it used to be rich in gold and it still is. Don't go there!! It is not worth the trouble!

The South Fork also has a lot of water in it. Highway 50 was built along its banks right up into Tahoe, kinda the back door entry way. I do not know much about the South Fork sept for the fact its a lot of water and it can be darned cold, cold to the bone kinda cold which makes it dangerous. Bad enough the rocks and rapids are trying to get you now the water takes your strength from you as soon as you drop into it. This may change as summer heats up but quite simply I never went back after one dunking in that thing. Guess I'm a sissy!

IMG_4662.JPG So back in 1972 my hiking buddy Scott said to me "Hey Herb how about we raft the NFAR river"? I replied "let me look up some information and we can go"! I sent out a few letters with only one reply. That reply arrived at my home the day we put in just downstream from the Euchre Bar Bridge, I'm glad it did not come while I was at home.

That first trip was at very low water (92CFS) so we portaged a lot, learned a lot and one true ism showed up real quick, 'if you purchase poor equipment it will give you poor results". Back then waterproof bags were not everywhere so some old war surplus provided Real Waterproof Bags, not everyone took my advice about purchasing the "good stuff". The other cheap equipment came with each raft, those stupid two piece paddles, they are JUNK!

I've been down the NFAR from the Euchre Bar put in four times now with a highest water flow of a touch over 250 CFS but around there. A good swimmer could not swim back up river against the current. Now that first trip we went because we decided to go and just did it. After that we went because heck we'd done it before! Now I read that along that same stretch of water all the way down to the 2nd Colfax bridge there is some good class V and class IV water so I guess that's why it was a little rough. Now a days folks in really big rafts go at much higher levels as that is the only way they can get those big things down the NFAR, for the most part they are above some of the bad stuff.

I suppose that after the 2017 50,000 cfs and 40 cfs events a lot has changed so one would need to pilot the river a bit more carefully before just going around any corner. Now this year, 2019, could also provide some high spring runoff but we will just have to wait and see. Anyway I found these article comments interesting.

IMG_4663.JPG When they talk about Up River from Euchre Bar bridge they are talking about some dangerous water. The last time I saw that area was long ago. A narrow water passage exists between the tight rock cliffs on either side of the NFAR. Then the solid rock cliffs above sheared off from the rock face and dropped into the narrow passageway making up some nasty drops into rock piles and the rocks are not small, at least they were not the last time I was up that way. Expert with a death wish is all I'd expect would go through there. Anyway, some food for thought! Be safe out there!................63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The latest possibility in 'portable' lighting for camping. The picture depicts using it for general yard lighting in the early evening............63bkpkr

IMG_4902.JPG

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out There for a Little While. July 2019

I LOVE Camping & Prospecting in the the NorCal Sierra Nevada Mountains and had hoped to make a three month trip of it, I arrived there on July 5, 2019.
I made a new campsite which was dirty work shoveling some of the fine to ultra-fine forest humus material and was setup by late afternoon. For a first
time experience I'd purchased a set of Solar Powered Motion Sensing Night Lights (the type you put outside the front door of your house). I figured my tent
was as good as a house so the lights should work (tied to 2 trees). I was in the tent at 7 PM and likely asleep by 7:15 PM as I was still bushed from July 2 blending into
July 3 and arriving in Auburn at the end of a bit more than 37 hours of being up and driving. Just after dark the first light turning on woke me, Hey Neat
they Work!! Just deer tracks were all that I found but it was nice to know that this City Thing will work in the wilderness as well, as long as sunlight
can get at it during the day to charge the batteries.

IMG_5098.JPG

Saturday I spent improving the camp site: raking up trip hazards, cutting a trail to the ICE Cold stream, switching the tent 180 degrees to be able to use
the see-through port (can't really call a piece of clear plastic a window), trimming the branches from a road impediment, sorting the items I'd brought with me
and as well I took a nap in the cool afternoon. Yes it was cool out there! The first night I was not comfortable in my 20 degree F sleeping bag, in fact
I was cold. The second night I added a second sleeping bag over the top of me and after that I was pleasantly warm all night long. There were a few
patches of 'white stuff' (I suspect snow turned to ice) on a few hillsides but not great amount of snow anywhere. Sunday was also a stay in camp day to
read scriptures and just take care of myself.

IMG_5099.jpg Road impediment, little did I know that there were two four foot diameter trees down across the road just out of site from this spot.
Or, nobody was going to go anywhere even if this ~ 18" diameter tree were cut and moved out of the way.

Monday morning after breakfast was time to take the first hike up the road to 'see what was there'. Not far from the two downed trees the heavy brush
began (1" diameter limbs). The typical ground hugging stuff (with 1" long spikes) that can get up to 5' in height IF it is not trimmed. I spent about 45
minutes brushing the old track in front of me and just when I touched the other side of what the brush was blocking my left shoulder told me it had done
all it was going to do. This was not just a we need to stop for a half hour and rest this was a full on we are done for the trip acknowledgment accompanied
by some really solid pain. I had come up here (from San Diego) to find out if I was actually fit enough to be out here with the answer being NO I
was not. Knowing what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go and what I would have to do to get to the big quartz outcrop I knew I had to be strong
and w/o any joint problems. I had done ok on the strength part but the joint, when put to heavy use, was just not going to be capable of doing what I knew
I would have to do for this trip to last for three months.

I did a bit more hiking and took a few more pictures with the phone of this lovely place but that's all I will be doing this year. A tough call but one that had to be made!

IMG_5101.JPG IMG_5107.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG First time to see exposed limestone in this area

IMG_5134.JPG The posts used to be in alignment and held the sign horizontally. Seems like something moved!!

IMG_5143.JPG The sky was so blue and the clouds so white! A few miles back towards "Civilization" the sky was dull blue
with muted white clouds.

I had really hoped that I could pull off one more long session in the mountains but when I had the answer to my question I stuck to doing the Safe Thing
for myself and any rescue team that may have been needed to bring me back out.

So 50+ years of backpacking, camping, fishing, prospecting and sharing this beautiful location with my children and a few friends may have just come
to an end. We will see!!

Next, I will be taking on some consulting assignments, medical tubing extrusion and other extrusion related consulting, and if this works out as well as
it has the possibility to, then there will be a cabin at the end of a dirt road in my future as well as possibly a trail from the cabin to the dock where a
simple boat will take me out onto the river and up into the lake in Some Other State. I will hang around making a comment or two but for now my
expeditions into the wild country will take a back seat to improving my savings account. My Best Wishes to All and Great Success with your
Explorations!....................63bkpkr/Herb

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry your outing was ended short Herb, I know how much this stuff means to you and I truly hope that it's not the end of it. I've been fighting some health issues myself and I myself am already starting to have to compromise situations for my health and it is new to me and very hard to grasp. I wish you much success with your endeavors and hope you end up in that cabin your speak of soon.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Year Could Have Been Better but it was what it was

When I have an actual roof over my head, not in a tent or under a tarp, I'd like to have a morning like this -
FDAA45CD-C1A3-45F5-93FB-9AA141588E07.jpeg doing a little work on the computer with 'A' pancake and a hot chocolate or maybe a cup of mint tea.
But of course part of the computer work could be planning another back country trip.

Now if I were to plan another trip I would want to go someplace special. Somewhere I'd been trying to get to for a long time and "stuff"
just kept me from getting to "That Special Spot". Like maybe someplace like this - 08818257-63AD-45A5-9A15-0470F243AAA4.jpeg

So I'd been stumbling around in the mountains, some would call that exploring some out of the way side canyons, when in the distance I
saw this pile of Ice on the other side of the canyon. But then it was September and just hot as the dickens so what could look like ice and
not be Ice? How about a large Quartz outcropping (Large - 3' to 6' wide by 45' to 60' in length). Now being a bit slow, musta been the heat,
I walked around it, got up on top of it, and marveled at how neat it looked and hiked on. Yes, I hiked on and in fact I misplaced this spot
in my mind for several years, then I started looking for it in earnest. In-between finding it and refinding it was a space of some 11 years.

A SOFT GREEN COLOR IS NOT YOUR FRIEND

SO in 2017 I recalled the 'general' location of the "Ice Deposit" but when I got to the upper edge of the canyon it came to my attention
that the grounds keeper had not been paid and had left the 'yard' to grow wild, darn was it wild! In the intervening years the brush, a
mixture of manzanita, berry bushes, some mountain misery and in the distance one can see this light green colored ground cover that
just looks so inviting -
5171E3AD-9BA1-412C-8741-CDD879CF34B1.jpeg Actually that soft green stuff looks like this up-close. 5AD41F8B-0811-404F-B578-59AEF14D1B5C.jpeg Those spikes are an inch long
and go right through new heavy denim pants or BDU's.

So this had gotten to be rugged country that fought back when a person decided to go for a hike out there -

0FF89AE1-9B9F-4EC8-A553-167D4DBFEBBD.jpeg 6E0B8CF5-E850-4836-AB4D-302349350A85.jpeg 200F7D8D-7B70-418E-9D04-ABE27A9DF6CB.jpeg

Actually, I think some of that stuff would just as soon eat a person alive as to allow one to be able to walk easily between bushes.

Walking between bushes - that statement brings a special picture to my mind. I'd been making my way down this hill, picking my
way through all the downed trees, the manzanita, berry bushes and those nice soft green colored plants, I'd taken a short cut by
walking on a downed tree and just before I stepped off the downhill end of the tree the appearence of the ground in front of me
caused me to stop and ponder the vision before my eyes. There in front of me was a cleared piece of ground with just the stubs
of weeds/plants etc. just barely sticking out of the cleared dirt. Now I've been hiking this country for 50 years and I'd Never
come across a piece of ground that looked like this. I stepped off the log and bent over to look for animal prints in the dirt, nope
none could be found. As I was standing next to it I noticed that the dirt had been cleared right up to this heavy, tall, wide bush.
I walked around the bush to see the trail had not been obliterated but as I walked past the downhill side of the heavy,tall, wide bush
I noticed the same size and appearance of the ground on the opposite side of the bush. What the heck caused That???? Looking at
my watch I knew I needed to go back up the hill and make camp so I would not over tire myself. I walked back up around the htw bush,
walked across the open patch of dirt, back up on the log, and started going up the hil. A distance behind me I heard this heavy duty
bashing of bushes. I turned to see the head of a black bear emerging from the htw bush, it was really thrashing to extricate itself
from its Bed. In slow motion it took the bear awhile to get itself out of the bush but in real time it did not take long. It exited the
htw bush at full speed turning away from me and running right through the brush I'd have to remove to get through in the direction
it took. Hmm, there was a bear in the bush, Hmm the bear must have made those cleared areas, I must remember that. On the way
back up the hill I was thinking about the 'other signs' I'd seen as I headed towards the cliff edge -

C2E6C98C-46A6-4DA4-BF99-89B8962F0F76.jpeg Putting two and two together I quickly came up with the number 7 which is a lucky number which also told
me I had come very close to potential destruction of the appearance and function of my body AND that I should not go back in there
(this year). Why? Look at the pile of bear scat - see all those near 1/4" diameter berry seeds! There was a string of those piles along
the ridge I'd hiked along and the other day I had taken a picture of a bush filled with red ripe berries. At that moment there were Tons
of ripe berries all over the canyon sides, bottoms and just everywhere. Nope, the wrong time of year to be hiking when one could not
see around the bushes to tell what was on the other side (let alone what might be IN the darn bush). Yup no time to go back in there
(this year).

DECIDING TO COMMIT TO THE PLUNGE OVER THE EDGE TO THE BOTTOM

So, I drove back to my old camp spot (as clearly I could not camp next to that string of Bear Scat). C0ECB42F-C4D2-4B15-A287-2B5AEADCE3B0.jpeg Where I
pondered on what to do next. I really did not want to go back to San Diego, I mean I had two months scheduled to go camping so
going back to a big city was like spitting into the wind! Just not pleasant. After a couple of days I decided to try hiking down the
mountain BUT it would be a must to have a light pack, my typical pack would be around 85 lbs. I even only took in four days worth
of food and my Fishing License (yes I paid the $49.00 for that useless piece of paper) and fishing equipment. The pack was still
heavy. But heck, I've hiked this trail in the dark, I've hiked this trail so many times it makes my entire body ache but one more
time should not kill me. I got the first pack load setup and drove over to the place where vehicles are left, shouldered the pack
and started hiking using Two Hiking Staffs! I was taking no chances, hah. In the intervening years the trail had changed due to
some heavy spring runoffs where snow melts and the water travels down hill, imagine that. To say the trail had changed is a bit
like saying that cars have changed a little From the Model T to now. It was a mess! step downs had gotten deeper/rougher while
slippery spots had become sliding spots (at one nasty spot a rope had been installed to assist down & up travel as it was dangerous
there). I made it about 66.6% of the way down that day before night fell, there was a distinct thud in the forest so I new night
had fallen. I had kept hiking as I knew this wide spot was there, anything needing to get by could do so without going through my
tent.
4C96A752-AD03-4E40-8DF8-6801B437FCA8.jpeg In the morning I finished the hike down to the NFAR, crossed the river, smoothed out a spot on the river bank,
set up my tent and chair, and prepared to recover from the hike in, so ended Saturday. Sunday was a day of reading, pondering and
napping. Monday I looked for my 4.5' long pry bar but it was gone. I checked all the camp sites in the are but could not find it and
that put a big kink in my plans! Let's go back a bit to the hike Down the canyon wall. It was rough, nasty, slippery, steep and kicked
my butt. Also, my knees were loudly complaining which is Not typical. So my knees kept complaining all through Monday.

Tuesday came and I decided to try my luck at fishing, usually I can do pretty good!! I went up river (actually up or down would not have
made much of a difference as the streambed had been jumbled for miles by heavy water flow in early 2018). The only pleasant part of
hike was coming across patches of Ripe Black Berries (anybody hear the bell ding as the door to the Bears pantry was opened?). That hike
was not fun - first only three small trout were caught and the ruggedness of the ground did not make my knees happy.

To be continued As I need my beauty sleep.1:20 AM Dec. 19 (time flies when you are having fun!)

FDBAF31A-6137-417A-93E0-63DBFD062F64.jpeg 7025F86E-EA09-413F-AA8E-8B300F28AB7D.jpeg E12AE777-32F8-46D6-9B82-3F33E1173325.jpeg 1F854EB8-8E28-4EF9-9999-38402B02D545.jpeg

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey 63bkpkr,
I was wondering how you were just the other day. Hope your knee is better.
From what Ive heard, when the berrys are out, it's actually safer to hike because they are full. They have enough food and are actually not in the mood for confrontation. Like your bear running away.
It's in the early spring and late fall, when they are cranky. I've never ever had one charge me. I've even had a mom and cubs by my car looking for goodies. Still, nothing I had to worry about. I've even chased them to get photos lol. However, my biggest concern is at night when they start looking for my food bag. I hang 2 bags on one branch. I use a long stick to get them about 12' in the air. Never had an issue.
That is one big outcropping. I see the original photo was right after the fire and now there's buck thorn, some call it white thorn. That stuff is surprisingly soft on the branches, it's the older dry parts that are prickly. We got tons of it after the Angora fire. The area is a brier patch now. Impossible to travel through. I bet that is what is there now. I wonder if a machete would work to blaze a trail. Those plants come up from a single stalk in the center, the outer branches are kinda soft.
Glad your still around and posting. Nice photos, camp looks ideal. Hope you find what you're looking for.... Did you ever sample that outcropping? Merry Christmas!
TG

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dec 28 2019. Good Morning Tahoegold!

As soon as I realized that the berries were so plentiful and of course the surprise that I'd been 3' to 5' from a bear I did not go back in there so no, I never got to the
old Quartz deposit.

IF one can get under the plants then the center stalk is easiest to cut off, it's just getting to the center stalk is not easy all the time! I've never been charged by a
bear, several times I've had them in camp when I was there (and yes they were looking for my food bags) and I've had them in the bushes along the trail and in
each of those situations 'The Pucker Factor' has been quite high. I've never needed to shoot one though either the .44 Mag or the 454 Casull have been used
as noise makers to scare them away and usually they stay away.

Right now the left knee is still sore and I do not expect it will get much better. And then, I'm headed to Florida for a job interview so my time in California may be
very short. Will I ever return, I think it is doubtful except to visit my Son. I'm tired of the twisted politics in the state (as well as in the nation). Because of the Cali
firearms situations, well, let's just say I'd not like it if a Forest Ranger or the Police wanted to remove my firearm from me. So before that might ever happen
I think I will depart.

63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONTINUED: So the Year Could Have Been Better but it was what it was

So the side canyon with the Bull Quartz Vein is really very interesting as it has several other side canyons nearby that I So Wanted to Investigate each of
the runoff gullies. Also it had one obvious large section of Standing rock that I wanted to get closer to -

25ED2B97-4DE3-426A-8019-148D32FF0F2E.jpeg I'm like a little kid as when I see country like this I want to set my feet on it as that is the only way I know of to actually have
a Close up look see of what is there.

So I set up my camp along the NFAR and it was So Good to Be Back Home! 7025F86E-EA09-413F-AA8E-8B300F28AB7D.jpeg

And I'd typed in lots more but Treasurenet timed me out so I lost it. I will return to finish this share!

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear you will be headed across Country. I can relate to your sentiments about Cali. I hope you get a great job and can fly out sometime!
I'm very glad you had food still. I'm not as worried for bears as I am for little critters gettimg into my supplies! Did you have one of those bear boxes? Or, did you just stash it? Bears have a better sense of smell than dogs even!
Yeah, that brush is not easy. I was just explaining it's structure. Actually, if you have a machete, it may work to cut a narrow trail. I can cut it with #90 string on a gas powered weed wacker. Not very well though.
I have used hedge trimmers with great success. A gas powered hedge trimmer would go right through it! I own 2 if you need to borrow one sometime!
Too bad you couldnt locate it on google earth by using the time line and going back to the time right after the fire.
If you ever need some help on a hike, let me know. I'm 2hrs from there.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One more thing, I have a friend that has 2 titanium sports knee replacements, he's back to hiking and is very happy about that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions