Prospecting in Nebraska

HuskerGI

Apr 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie here also. Just getting started with my son (7) and myself (38). Grew up on the farm, worked in aviation for 11 years, and then bought and owner/operate a auto mech shop now. I am in NE Nebraska....have always had the bug to search for gold. Thinking of buying some concentrates to practice panning and sluicing with. Would love to go out sometime and prospect with someone and I don't need anything back besides fun and knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Bought my dad a metal detector this past Christmas.....and I can use that anytime too! :)

IrkenInvader

Apr 17, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone out a few times to creeks in Lancaster county, Little and Big Nemaha tributaries. The creeks are pretty small and I'm not finding any rocks bigger than fine gravel or sand. I can take the sand /mud / clay and pan it (takes a while to clean) and haven't found any specks yet. Do I just need to find bigger streams / rivers where there are sizable rocks or is it possible to find glacial flour gold in the...mud? I'm a little embarrassed to go around knocking on doors pan in hand so I've just been on my own property.

OP
OP
N

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
Lets just say, you are on the right track, just go a little east and a little south.

Renaris

Feb 24, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to dredge up an old thread but I'm in SE Nebraska bit SW of Lanaster county. Any Nebraskans willing to take the time to help some one learn how to prospect?

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Hate to dredge up an old thread but I'm in SE Nebraska bit SW of Lanaster county. Any Nebraskans willing to take the time to help some one learn how to prospect?

Renaris, if you see this message, if you've not prospected on your own, don't let it intimidate you.
Nebraska allows people to access Rivers from bridge locations.Several friends and myself would frequent a couple locations on the Nemaha River an area north from Humboldt to Elk Creek. There is a bed of Limestone bed rock exposed along this section of the river. It allowed for some trapping of glacial till.

things to Look for are rusty gravels, pyrite, odd quartz nodules, red quartzite erratics.

I do know near crete, there is an exposed glacial moraine i'd like to explore, however it happens to be on Railroad right of way. you can see the exposure in the wall cuts around Pleasant Dale and Emerald.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread