Prospecting trip in North Carolina suggestions.

wwonka41

Sep 13, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Had a Whites Spectrum. Loved it but had to sell it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although currently I stay in Wilmington, I know just a few hours away has great potential for color. My two boys have been watching all of the Uwharrie prospecting videos and a few anonymous(lol) locations in NC. The YouTube videos give the reality of all that work to get so little return. My boys just want to find their first honest to goodness real color.I know there are pay sites but we all want the real deal. No salted or enriched. We find or we dont find, but me prospect. There are potential placer deposits everywhere around Charlotte, but what areas is it acceptable? Thanks for reading.

Mike

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although currently I stay in Wilmington, I know just a few hours away has great potential for color. My two boys have been watching all of the Uwharrie prospecting videos and a few anonymous(lol) locations in NC. The YouTube videos give the reality of all that work to get so little return. My boys just want to find their first honest to goodness real color.I know there are pay sites but we all want the real deal. No salted or enriched. We find or we dont find, but me prospect. There are potential placer deposits everywhere around Charlotte, but what areas is it acceptable? Thanks for reading.

Mike
I'm on the west coast but there has to be some nice public areas to pan out there. Someone will chime in. You can always check or join the GPAA. I figured where to go from Google search.. but you have to be persistent, always

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check for prospecting clubs in your area. They can fill you in on where to try etc.That said....I don't know your state or your laws (probably mainly applies for public land only?) but my guess is that random potential areas* there in N.C. are on private land. I know of some Southeast U.S. posters on this forum who have asked for permission from land owners to do a little prospecting or in some cases, relic hunting.

Good luck and have fun with your boys.

* Downhill and or downstream from known gold areas.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold vein runs the entire length of NC....From N.to S....Mines listed are in Howie,Brewer,Haile,Ridgeway,Barite Hill

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Buncombe county East End of Asheville City Limits. Alluvial deposits along the Swananoa River. Be sure to know the boundaries of the National Park. The main vein is across the river
on the Billy Graham rehab center. Unfortunately, even if you could get a permit, there's un-exploded dynamite thereabouts. Don't go in the creek bare legged, knee waders are a must as
there are garnet mines up river and the garnet particles will rub your legs raw. I know this sounds a little "Indiana Jones" but my wife's family played a pivotal roll in the taming of that
area, and I've seen the proof. Also look for culverts that run under I-40 and the Blue Ridge Parkway to dump into the Swananoa. A corrugated culvert pipe is a natural sluice box. Recover
the silt from the grooves in the pipe and pan them carefully. If you find gold it will be very small particles so watch the pan carefully. Best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions