psuedo fossils

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesero Lobo Super Traq
I stumbled upon this site back in August. Yeah, it was hot. The pics brought some interest from the local BLM archaeologist and two paleontologist George Jefferson of the Anza Borrego State Park and Tom Demere of the San Diego Museum of Natural History. Upon further examination they were classified as "psuedo fossils." So much for my fossilized clam!

Mr Jefferson stated the following about the find, "You have discovered a variety of sandstone concretions, sometimes called psuedo fossils when they take on the morphologies of organic remains. They can form in any shape, from geometrically perfect conical spirals to horse hooves. The ones in question have developed through localized cementation/precipitation of ground water minerals between the sand grains. Subsequent erosion reveals the shapes. They are from the Arroyo Diablo or Borrego Formations and date to about 4 million years."

Close but no cigar. I'll keep looking. Maybe there's a Salton Sea Ichthyosaurs out here somewhere:)

Attachments

• DSCN0080.JPG
    DSCN0080.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCN0093.JPG
    DSCN0093.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN0051.JPG
    DSCN0051.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCN0080.JPG
    DSCN0080.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN0096.JPG
    DSCN0096.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN0093.JPG
    DSCN0093.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 352

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
thats because we as adults dont have the facination and inquisitive minds kids have
a kid could watch an ant crawl up a blade of grass while we as adults wouldnt take the time to even consider doing it to us time is money hurry up and rush an acomplish as many things as you can

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread