• 025a.jpg
    025a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 481

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: purple & white onionskin

I have a few things to say about this marble..

1. I never seen those colors in a onionskin.
2. I can see the pontils in it still
3. even after polish it is still pretty nicked up
4. very breath taking marble even with nicks
5.WOW THAT IS A NICE MARBLE!!

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

I dont think you can call that an onionskin,but I really dont know what to call it. would probably sell for a good price on fee-bay.Is there a pontil on that marble and what size is it.
ksmith

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Thanks, here is the only other one close to it I've been able to find, and i don't have a membership to see the price it sold for. It is lighter in color than mine, but made very similarly. It may have been made at the same factory.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-large-purple-onion-skin-marble-size-1-1

The pontils no longer exist. I don't want to sell it as I am a collector, but it would be nice to find out more about it and what it's worth. I wish the hit marks weren't there, but it is what it is. It looks like further polishing could remove even more of the nicks, but right now I think I'll leave it like it is. It is beautiful to hold and look at.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

im not real sure of the exact value of that marble but in marblin -condition is everything...the hits could hurt the value but the real hurter of this one is the fact that its polished.....if its a real rare one...which i dont know...it would have been worth lots more unpolished...if the polisher couldnt remove all the hits it musta looked bad and the origional mib couldve looked drastically different....i cant place a value on it ......its purty fer sure ....its worth something --but i dont know how much

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Thanks Duffy... have you ever seen a purple and white onionskin? Does polishing ever enhance the value rather than reduce it? I've seen some of these marbles so chipped up and messed up that you can't even hardly tell what the marble looks like inside. Holding it under water is the only way to somewhat view them. I wouldn't even display some of those, but with a little polishing, the beautiful works of art they are can be appreciated once again. I didn't see this one before polishing, but with all the remaining hits, it must have been pretty rough... maybe to the point that it was just ugly. I have a 1 3/4" solid core swirl that is really banged up and I'm considering having it polished so that it will be nice to look at again.

Attachments

• !CEVn7lgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE0,TPLW0HBNRg-dQpKw~~_12.JPG
    !CEVn7lgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKkUE0,TPLW0HBNRg-dQpKw~~_12.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 435

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

if you want to polish and clean it up for your own collection you could...i dont know anybody that would buy a polished marble...i know some good polishers if you want to know who they are i could give you the contact info.....some people reheat em and clean em up but theres a chance your marble would explode....a rare marble is better off left alone but theyre not worth too much....polishing sometimes chances the marbles big time and onionskins the color is on the surface somtimes you end up with a clear marble....

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina

Marble looks more Hangathered Slag type kinda Chevron sorta. I wouldn't call it an Onion. What's the other pole look like? Does it have a clear core? Polished one would not be sure if it were contemporary or not.

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

Both poles are shown. It has a clear core, then the thin colored onionskin layer of purple and white, then the outer clear layer. This is evident when you backlight it with a bright light. Since it has the outer clear layer, the appearance of the marble doesn't change with polishing. This looks as it did the day it was made, other than the hit marks and the pontils polished off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread