Upvote 0

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rochester, NY.... I have a old 1850's "Yellowpages"... maybe the company is in it... I'll look..

FYI-The Van Bergh Company here in Rochester used the "Quadruple Plate" as a term for silver plate. (Van Bergh was a silver plating company.)

The Van Bergh Silver Plate company was founded in 1892 by Fredrich and Maurice Van Bergh. The company was inc. in 1904. In 1925 the company merged with Oneida Community LTD and moved to Oneida, NY.

OP
OP
pilgrim770

pilgrim770

Jul 25, 2005
Houston, TX.
WOW! Thanks guys for the information, nice to have help on I.Ding old stuff like this. At least now I know what they are and who made them. ;D I better go back and dig some more if they through that away.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Oh Man, thats too bad you lost that post...I posted all the information you needed to know about them. LOL. Well, here we go...again...

http://pages.neeleysantiques.us/153/PictPage/1920978991.html
http://pages.neeleysantiques.us/153/PictPage/1920978990.html

http://www.abesilverman.com/What_IS_Quadruple_Silver_Plate.html

An exerpt from http://www.abesilverman.com/A634.html:
"The Van Bergh Silver Plate Company was founded in 1892 by Frederick W. Van Bergh and Maurice H. Van Bergh. A third brother was rumored to have joined the firm in 1898. The company was incorporated on July 1, 1904. In 1925, the Van Bergh Silver Plate Co. assets were transferred to a new corporation named the Van Bergh Silver Plate Company, Inc., which was set up by the Oneida Community, Limited. This new corporation was merged into Oneida Community, Limited in 1926 and moved from Rochester to Oneida, New York."

So yes, they are crumb trays. Some were sold with a brush, but many were used with just a napkin. Think of them as fancy dust pans.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, neat find. Tsgman

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look crumby to me... looks like a "SWEET FIND!" :D
It's always nice reading up on local history near my neck of the woods, thanks for the history lesson guys!

Faith

Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have the information about the Van Bergh Co. I have a tea set with tea pot, waste pot, sugar and creamer from the VAN BERGH S P Co Rochester NY Manufactured in USA Quadruple Plate. The Sugar pot has 25 marked on it. From your post I assume it was made between 1892 and 1904. Does anyone have a timeline on the variations on marks used by this company?

SingsForFood

Oct 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crumb catcher set # 2

Doesn't look crumby to me... looks like a "SWEET FIND!" :D
It's always nice reading up on local history near my neck of the woods, thanks for the history lesson guys!
If this works, my post will include a photo of our set. Similar markings, different design. I believe it is a set, if you look at the bevels angles of the edges. One half is the scoop, the other half is the catcher. Fun piece to keep on the buffet in the dining room and play "what is it?"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 259

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread