Quality Florida Paleo Info.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a nice site...that so called Suwannee bone scraper is the same length as the one pictured, from a saltwater midden site, that style is common along coastal sites, I highly doubt they were bone scrapers,, much less assigned to the Suwannee culture, ..Just a thought.
65DF97B1-4D8E-4D4A-A577-366030CBB133.png 4239924D-E513-4579-8FA4-484D553E2B9A.jpeg 0FBFE0FE-B6C3-442E-9D6D-88D37A8C2D92.jpeg 39970D04-1F90-45F5-8D4D-DCC0DE4258D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 96B0C4DB-FC2D-468F-B297-E9408E9DB1F8.jpeg
    96B0C4DB-FC2D-468F-B297-E9408E9DB1F8.jpeg
    919.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, if I read it right, they found that one and a little adze they pictured with Suwanee points, extinct animal remains and nothing later in the same place. Probably, like you say (imply) a general artifact type. Then again, if use wear showed it was used to scrape bones, then a bone scraper it was there, whether it was something else somewhere else or not.

I just like to look at the pictures (LOL !)

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, if I read it right, they found that one and a little adze they pictured with Suwanee points, extinct animal remains and nothing later in the same place. Probably, like you say (imply) a general artifact type. Then again, if use wear showed it was used to scrape bones, then a bone scraper it was there, whether it was something else somewhere else or not.

I just like to look at the pictures (LOL !)
Me too, but I get so irritated with some Florida archeologists they think they know everything,and another thing, since we like to look at pics. Why is it like pullin teeth to try and look at what they found, it’s as if they think we’re gonna snatch up every artifact in the whole danged state,.collectors are never gonna stop, so if all that stuff is so important to the world, show it.I actually have seen some of it I spent a week at the site....Believe me, I know how those ole boys think., Lol.Good post Uniface......I need to clarify what I said...So they found that tool in association with a Suwannee, now then, if they were to find a similar one a block downriver there’s no way it can be said that it was as old as Suwannee points because similar ones are found on woodland sites along the coast and smaller ones are found inland, etc, etc,, there, that’s what I meant, I got excited when I read that part about the bone scraper, ..I’ve had it, I’m goin to bed.see ya tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Where human nature is concerned, it does often seem that in a lot of fields (like archaeology) the lowest common denominator is the glass ceiling.

I blew it with the archaeologist I was so enthused about promising to answer my questions. Sent him links to the site here where they were posted rather than clog his inbox with pictures, one at a time. That "outed" me as a LOOTER, and that was the end of everything. Professionals (except for a few good eggs) ONLY interact with the likes of us on a one way street: when we donate money, artifacts, volunteer work or identify sites, we're OK -- kind of. In the same sense a prostitute is -- in private. In public, we're LOOTERS -- scum of the moral universe.

He's ignored my follow-up inquiries for two weeks now.

And it's not him, personally. His hands are tied by professional archaeology's Bolshevik establishment that would be glad to "cancel" him for providing LOOTERS with information because that would increase the value of their stolen antiquities.

Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh, cry, throw up or get angry. Modern times in a nutshell.

Guess I'm tired, too -- too tired to be be polite when talking about people who think they're above being polite in return.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread