jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never used the Quatro so I can't Answer that.

However I doubt the Sovereign will ever be as good
as it is .
if it had a faster sweep.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The Quattro is a dumbed down Explorer SE from what I understand, but still operates on the FBS 28 frequencies (transmitting freq. of 1.5 to 100kHz) like the Explorer, and still requires slower than most other machine sweeps. The Sovereign is a 17 frequency machine that is also a slow sweeper.

Honestly Barber, I believe you are the first person I have heard of that disliked the Quattro. Not saying that they aren't out there, but your the first for me. Supposedly it is a very easy turn on and go version of the Explorer, with 4 preset detect modes and automatic ground balance.

I think you should hang w/ the Quattro and put some more hours into it. I think you will really like it once you get the feel for it, IMHO.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I am looking to buy my first MD and I went to the hobby place were they sell Whites, Minelabs, and a couple others. The guy there told me they don't even sell Garrett anymore because people were so unhappy with them. He said the Whites were ok but, he recommended the Minelab units. Even the cheap one he said would be better then any comparable unit. But anyway this was the first time I had ever seen the Quattro. He said the same thing. Its essentially a dumbed down SE and quite a bit cheaper. I read the posts on here about them and it seems like some people have problems with them. I imagine that being familiar with another detector may have something to do with that. But what exactly is the diffrence from the SE? They are slower? Do they go just as deep?

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bigtime400 said:
I am looking to buy my first MD and I went to the hobby place were they sell Whites, Minelabs, and a couple others. The guy there told me they don't even sell Garrett anymore because people were so unhappy with them. He said the Whites were ok but, he recommended the Minelab units. Even the cheap one he said would be better then any comparable unit. But anyway this was the first time I had ever seen the Quattro. He said the same thing. Its essentially a dumbed down SE and quite a bit cheaper. I read the posts on here about them and it seems like some people have problems with them. I imagine that being familiar with another detector may have something to do with that. But what exactly is the diffrence from the SE? They are slower? Do they go just as deep?

I believe they go just as deep as the SE, they just lack all the fancy programming options.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
In my experience the Quattro is a bit more quirky than the SE. As far as what I have experienced the Explorers are deeper once you get to know them. First of all the targets have to be there to find them and then you have to run your coil over them. With that being said , in a side by side comparison the EX II and now the SE both found 20 to 25% more targets in a given hunt area than did the Quattro. Not to take anything away from the Quattro but it just isn;t as good as the EX II or SE. As far as the dealer that sells the multi brands ; could of fooled me on the Garretts as having unhappy customers. And Whites being "OK" is a bit of an understatement. 8)

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Thats what I hate.......I can never get a difinitive answer on which MD to buy! ??? Im sure some of it was that dealer liked the profit margin on the minelab better. Who knows. But Will the whites and Garretts find as many targets as the minelabs?!!? Come on! I want all the answers! ;D

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
More often than not it's the user that will define success. You have to have a good , reliable and capable detector but it is the ability of the user that is most important. The Garretts will get the goodies as will the Whites. As far as top of the line goes ; My order is Explorer SE closely followed by Whites DFX then the Fisher Coinstrike and then the Garett 2500. 8)

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I started detecting in the '70's with top of the line Garret, which turned out to be a joke. I've had several Minelabs, with good results, but I've been out of detecting for about 12 years, The Quattro seems ok, but it is so SLOOOWWWW. Thanks for the replies. I'll prob'ly stick with the Quattro, too expensive not too.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
TonyinCT said:
More often than not it's the user that will define success. You have to have a good , reliable and capable detector but it is the ability of the user that is most important. The Garretts will get the goodies as will the Whites. As far as top of the line goes ; My order is Explorer SE closely followed by Whites DFX then the Fisher Coinstrike and then the Garett 2500. 8)

need more coffee but I am learnign a lot by reading these posts

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
The Sovereign is a slow sweeper but it analyzes everything I can tell a nickle from a pulltap sometimes i dig the tap just to make sure but its always right. I got a nickle reading next to a dime sure enough both were there.
Now if I can just find gold.

Chris Clark MO

Greenie
Jun 10, 2005
Mid MO
Detector(s) used
F-75, Nautilus
If you want to be done with it and quite trying to decide, IMHO, get an Expl. ll

and Sunray probe. That is all you need and will out hunt ALL detectors for deep silver coins. I have had about all detectors at one time or another and I consistantly find coins where NONE of the others could. Just a fact. I know there are exceptions but I firmly feel if you hunt with anything else you are leaving coins behind. My opinion of course. I haven't used the Quattro but it can't be much cheaper than a used Expl. ll now that the SE has come out. Save yoiur money on an SE until they put it in an X-Terra box.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Last year I had a Quattro. Sold it and got an Exp II. I posted this review of the Quattro just after I had sold it.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,42683.0.html

I don't like the analogy of a dumbed down version of the Explorer II for the Quattro. There are features I really miss on the Quattro. I would say I got better depth with my Quattro than I get with my Exp II. I also believe if you know your machine you will do well with it(within limits of coarse). Overall the Exp II is a more versatile machine and I dig less trash with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread