NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old beer bottle on my jobsite today. A nice deep green, thick glass with a couple bubbles that I'm guessing is late 1800's early 1900's but the neck is broken off and gone. I find a lot of them like that and I've never kept any that were broken but today I started thinking that I could cut them at the bottom of the shoulder and use them as drinking glasses. It seems like a good way to give them a second life, and I just really like that old green glass anyway.

I've never cut a bottle before and I was thinking I could probably use my tile saw, but then I thought it might chip the glass and I'd hate to have the bottle come apart in my hands and get little bits of glass all over.... So I was looking online and saw people using burning yarn... which also seems like it could end badly. So I started looking at actual purpose made bottle cutters. I saw one from Wal mart for cheap, and some other more pricey ones as well.

Which leads me to my questions.... Who here has cut bottles? What method did you use? What method would you recommend? If I buy a cutter, is there any practical difference between the wal mart cheapo and the higher priced ones? Any tips you'd care to share?

I remember cutting bottles a long time ago,I don't really remember much about it.I had a bottle cutting kit that I got for Christmas.W hat it comes to is you get what you pay for.Chinamart garbage won't last ,that's a promise lmao.If you want to enjoy what you buy for a while get the higher end item.

This old bottle is pretty thick, so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. but since it's already broken I've got nothing to lose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back