What's new

Question About Pre-60 Nickels

JJtheRollHunter

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I know everyone says to keep them, but I think they just take up space. Of course I keep War Nickels and Buffalos but unless I find a 1938 or 1950-D, It is a waste of my time. If I were to sell a roll or two of pre-60s (no rare dates) to a coin dealer or pawn shop, could I get more than $2 a roll?

Thanks to all who post,
JJ
 
Upvote 0
I don't CRH nickels, but when I find them in my spare change I only save war nickels (I have only found 2 in my entire life).

I have never found a buffalo.

I determine what I CRH and save mostly by what do I find the easiest and what will my local coin dealer buy from me. This excludes most everything except silver halves (dimes can be found but it takes 5 to equal one 90%, and I find 90%ers easier than I find 5 dimes).

A person can pretty much sell anything on Ebay from what people report here, such as selling brand new coins at astronomical prices.

If you don't plan to try to sell on ebay, then I would say the nickels are not worth keeping, unless you plan to pass them on to future generations someday.

Jim
 
From my experience, I couldn't unload them. I only saved AU or better pre-60's for a couple of years. I had quite a few rolls. Ended up selling the rolls (all of them) for slightly above face value. Frankly, it wasn't worth the time to list and the fees to list the items for the meager return. I think my best roll was around $4.00. Most sold south of $3/roll. If you need them to fill a hole in book then by all means, otherwise you are just wasting your time. War silver is another matter. Keep all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom