What's new

Question about the 2002 +

  • Thread starter Thread starter seger98
  • Start date Start date
S

seger98

Guest
I was wondering about these 2002s, 03s 04s 05s 06s & 07s that aren't "suppose" to be in circulation. Like the 2003's for instance, there are only 2.5 million minted of the P's & 2.5 million of the D's. How did they get into circulation & what are they worth if anyone knows. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Most of them just come in plastic wrap, not very impressive looking, people give them as gifts and people buy them as souvenirs. When times are tough, and that little extra cash is needed, they get spent/deposited, or kids break em open not knowing. All kinds of reasons.
 
Hello, brand new to the site, but not the hunting of rolls. I guess its the perfect topic to jump in on, i have the same question due to my last box of halves. It had its ordinary and its bit of strangness. Found 2 - 64P , 1 - 64D,
2 - 67 , 2 - 68.... My first proof, a 76S, was exciting to finally find one.

Now for the strange part, in past boxes of halves, I had found the occasional 2002 to present NIFC half dollar, nice to fill a spot in my collection for cost,,,, but with this box , 126 NIFC halves! 80 - '05D, 6 - '04D, 7 - '04P, 9 - '03D, 8 - 02D, 6 - '02P. Was not what I expected, any ideas of how or why? Now what, do they have any premium to auction, or just dump back into circulation, not the silver and proof of course. Take care
 
photogame said:
Hello, brand new to the site, but not the hunting of rolls. I guess its the perfect topic to jump in on, i have the same question due to my last box of halves. It had its ordinary and its bit of strangness. Found 2 - 64P , 1 - 64D,
2 - 67 , 2 - 68.... My first proof, a 76S, was exciting to finally find one.

Now for the strange part, in past boxes of halves, I had found the occasional 2002 to present NIFC half dollar, nice to fill a spot in my collection for cost,,,, but with this box , 126 NIFC halves! 80 - '05D, 6 - '04D, 7 - '04P, 9 - '03D, 8 - 02D, 6 - '02P. Was not what I expected, any ideas of how or why? Now what, do they have any premium to auction, or just dump back into circulation, not the silver and proof of course. Take care

To get the 2002+ halves, someone had to pay extra money to buy them from the mint. As I understand it, some dealers would buy the rolls and remove only the nicest halves get them graded and just cash in the rest since there wasn't much resale value. Now I don't know if that is true or not, but seems plausible.

As far as resale value, since they will have at least minimal ciculation, I don't believe there is much demand for them, so in most cases they will not bring much of a premium. I personally have been saving mine. I am hoping I might be able to use them for trade with other collectors to fill holes in their collections if I can't sell them someday. Who knows what the future will bring.
 
Thanks Gman for the reply, your answer does seem plausible. Being the lower mintage I would think it smart to hold onto them aswell, at the very least they are still worth what I got them for, I plan on holding onto mine as well! Seger98
 
I think Gman got it right. If you check Ebay, you will see dealers all over, selling
graded or single NIFC coins at a premium.

Alot of them even state in their auctions, that they purchase Mint bags of these, pick
out the good ones, and sell them. Im guessing the culls or slightly marked up/banged
up ones just get taken to the bank. Ive gotten boxes with 40-50 of them as well. Sold
a few rolls, kept a few rolls. Lately Ive been returning them , unless a box has a roll or
two of the same date.... then I just keep them by the roll-full. As for the stray random date,
back it goes for someone else to collect. I got enough of 'em :)
 
Thanks for all the answers, I'm glad I asked it here & that you guys know what your talking about. Seger98
 
also, people buy $1,000 bags of them to search for errors. the mint scans the coins for errors and misstrikes, but some of them get through the system. when brinks or whoever gets these bags, they roll them and most of the time the misstrikes cannot be rolled becuase of their odd shape. the nifc ones skip the brinks rolling company, so there is a better chance of finding errors in mint bags. people do this with quarters, dimes, nickels, and cents also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom