Question about the sovereign GT as compared to exclaber II

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering how the tones on the Excal II sound off as compared to the Sovereign GT.

Are they audible with or without earphones,? I've recently (past 4 months ) bought two of the most modern and capable metal detectors on the market and though I acknowledge that each one of them offers a distinct edge over the Sovereign GT, the Sovereign is by far the most effective American coin hunter.

It doesn't seem to detect bimetal foreign coins very well. It actually ignores them by discriminating them out.
I've learned to listen for a very subtle grunt as it does so, but I have several thousands of hours on that machine.
Preferably I would prefer that it detect them as well as it would an American Penny or quarter, but that is not the case.

Does any one know if the excalliber recognizes bimetal Mexican coins any better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Pertaining to recovering bi metal coins, what I do on the Sovereign is, In standard discrimination mode I listen for a distinct silent pause in the threshold and then switch up to all metal mode , at which time the unmistakable tone of an anomaly is evident. Its not as distinct as the coin tones in discrimination mode , but it is clearly recognizable.
There is no need to ever come out of discrimination mode if hunting American coins, because the sovereign will sound of extremely clear and distinct every single time.

Not so for bi metal coins, they require a little more fine tuning and more work. If your not hunting for them they will be discriminated out with every other silent pause in the threshold that occurs. Its actually a "language" that is learned over time.

Does the excal II have the same characteristics? Has anyone ever hunted Pesos with one?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, you can't hunt with an Excalibur without headphones as there is no external speaker. That said, I've found foreign coins with the Excalibur but they're broken sounds at best in discrimination mode. Most of the time it's just a null in the threshold. It will depend on the country and coin. They ring out fine in all metal. The Sov is a bit more adjustable than the Excal so you might be able to find a setting that will allow certain coins to ring out a bit clearer. At the beach, it's not a big deal to me. I usually dig everything anyway unless it's a dead solid iron sound. Even then, I will dig some just to get them out of my search area so they don't mask a good target.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, you can't hunt with an Excalibur without headphones as there is no external speaker. That said, I've found foreign coins with the Excalibur but they're broken sounds at best in discrimination mode. Most of the time it's just a null in the threshold. It will depend on the country and coin. They ring out fine in all metal. The Sov is a bit more adjustable than the Excal so you might be able to find a setting that will allow certain coins to ring out a bit clearer. At the beach, it's not a big deal to me. I usually dig everything anyway unless it's a dead solid iron sound. Even then, I will dig some just to get them out of my search area so they don't mask a good target.

Thank you Cuda, does the Excalibar sound and behave about the same as the Soverign as heard through the headphones?
I think the true strong point of the Sov is its capacity to ground balance ( like no other that I am familiar with thus so far ) and to discriminate cleanly and accurately.
Im not thrilled with the way it presents targets in all metal mode, it's doable but its strength lies in its ability to it discriminate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Cuda, does the Excalibar sound and behave about the same as the Soverign as heard through the headphones?
I think the true strong point of the Sov is its capacity to discriminate cleanly and accurately
Im not thrilled with the way it presents targets in all metal mode, it's doable but the machine is worth it just for it's discrimination alone

What I mean is as follows:
Sovereign GT in discrimination mode: Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, (quarter or equivalent)
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.!!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. (Dime or eqivalent)

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ooooooooooooooooooooo.!!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. ( Penny or nickel equivalent)

Sovereign GT in all metal mode:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, weeeeeee, Waaaaaaaaaaa,eeeeeeeeee,ooooooooooo, weeeeeeeeee. (Then back to threshold) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (something containing metal or equivalent)

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see "TheDutchdetector" finding bi-metal Euros all the time with his SovGT in his youtube videos. ???

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I see "TheDutchdetector" finding bi-metal Euros all the time with his SovGT in his youtube videos. ???

Thx....I'll check it out, I'm telling you after three years and lots and lots of hours the SGT doesn't traditionally detect bi metal coins. It basically discriminates them out unless in all metal mode which would get really really old really quick on a sov....

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eTrac has similar issues with coins made of various metals...however you have the ability to create a pattern which will recognize them. This is what I did with mine and I have no issues now finding Canadian or other currency.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The eTrac has similar issues with coins made of various metals...however you have the ability to create a pattern which will recognize them. This is what I did with mine and I have no issues now finding Canadian or other currency.

Thx, The ability to do that just might be one of the most usable new features in the more recently upgraded minelab line of detectors.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the true strong point of the Sov is its capacity to ground balance ( like no other that I am familiar with thus so far ) and to discriminate cleanly and accurately.
Im not thrilled with the way it presents targets in all metal mode, it's doable but its strength lies in its ability to it discriminate.
I've never had a problem with ground balance on either machine. That's the beauty of the BBS system....it will handle all kinds of bad ground and mineralization. I haven't tried to nugget hunt with either of them though! I've never had the same headphones on both so the sound quality was always different on the ones I've used. The Sov has the advantage of being able to plug in just about any type of headphone whereas the Excalibur is hard wired (unless you do the conversion to waterproof connectors) The threshold on the Excalibur changes pitch with every target in the discrimination mode. It stays steady in all metal. They both have discrimination but the Sov is a bit more adjustable than the Excal. I think the tone I.D. is much better with the Sov also but a lot might be the stock waterproof headphones of the Excal, which don't have the best sound reproduction.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread