question for an expert on where to look.

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Through my research I have learned that gold travels a specific path as it journeys down a stream. It is my understanding that gold will deposit itself along the inside of a river bend.. I have also read that as a river ages the inside bend gains material deposits forming first, sand and gravel bars and later topsoil and plants, Turing eventually into stream bank, while at the same time the outside of the bend erodes away.

So my question is this. Is gold only found in the water at the bank, or is it possible that looking more on shore ( where the older river bend used to be) might also hold gold that was deposited long ago?

Have any of you ever found this to be true? can you offer any details about where and how you found the spot that could help a novice?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Willey, put a wooden plug into the end of the driver pipe (3/4). Use very small wood screws that are countersunk. Put a fender washer at each end off the ball. Fender washers are large but only have 1/4 inch holes. Using a wood screw that is long enough, screw it through the washer/ball/washer into the wood plug (you drilled a pilot hole into the wood plug first). That's it. I got this idea from a "shrimp gun" that my brother TimC built. Works very good. TTC
Terry this could be workable, I will keep on the lookout for a ball the right size.

OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This Plunger seal MIGHT work better, .... it does in the sink anyway. Temp 2 1/2 pipe cap with some modifacation ... Home Dispare ..... 270 Cents.

View attachment 697457
this thing is called a test plug, They sell them in HD, but a different style. This may also be an option I will explore.
By the way I tested my hand dredge today at the stream. It worked, but I felt it was slow. I couldn't find a ball for the end of the nozzle, so I used a fishing bobebr turned upside down and a crimp sinker to keep the bobber from sliding down the string.. it worked until the bobber broke.. I think I know why they use a 2 inch main tube, so you can suck up more volume... I may have to build another tube, but for now I'll use the one I have.

OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hand dredge 001.jpg hand dredge 002.jpg hand dredge 003.jpg
This is what I ended up with after construction. I added some camo duct tape from Wally world and a rifle sling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread