What's new

Question: How much to dump?

legend76

Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2010
Messages
880
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to increase my half dollar CRH'ing from say 2 boxes every month or two to 2 boxes a week. I order at my bank in my hometown and dump at the CU adjacent to my work site, which is about 30 minutes from home. I roll my dumps because my CU does not have a coin machine. Normally, I dump $300-$500 at a time, but by increasing my volume, I need to dump more at once.
So my question is: How much do you guys (and gals) think I should dump at one time without becoming a nuisance? Keep in mind that my dumps are rolled.
Thanks and HH to all,
Legend
 
Upvote 0
There is no way to answer this. Every bank is different. One of my dump banks cut me off after about 3 months of dumping $500 or so weekly, even though they told me it would be alright to do so when I opened the account. My other dump bank has told me I can bring in as much as I want, as often as I want. I mentioned that sometimes I search as much as $3000-$4000 a week. The teller said, "no problem." I've been dumping about $900 (up from $500/week) a week there for several weeks now with no problems so far.

Talk to your CU and see what they say. Regardless, I would start looking for alternative dump banks, just in case. It never hurts to have a backup plan.
 
I would try to find more then one dump bank.I dump about 4 boxs of halfs a week plus a bag of dimes and nickles.I use five banks for dumps and I rotate every week,dumping no more than a $1000 a shot. I still get the crook eye every now and then. So now I bring cookies . bagles and coffee and the crook eyes are all smiles now.
 
The only thing more important than finding silver is having a multitude of dump banks. If I had to start CRHing all over again the first thing I would do is to find as many dump banks as possible,preferably with coin machines,but any will suffice.I'm talking a good 30+ dump spots.
Forget about bringing the tellers trinkets and baubles, it's not them that make the decision to cut you off,it could be some corporate bank officer that you have never seen.
If a particular bank only sees you a couple of times a year you could get away with dumping a couple of thousand dollars in coin without ever getting shut off.
HH
Rich
 
Rich makes a good point.The more banks the better, I guess the less they see of us the better. Out of sight out of mind.
 
You have to play it by ear. I also find that building a good relationship with the tellers goes a long way. I have gotten in so good with the tellers in one of my banks here that when I went out of town for two weeks and came in after I got back they all said "we were so worried about you, we thought maybe we did something wrong... and you didn't like us anymore". It's my main dump bank, but they do save all the "weird" coins for me as well. It's hit or miss like anything dealing with people. I also have to say that overall the tellers are much friendlier here in the midwest than when I lived on the East Coast -- almost makes up for the fact that I have to work much harder to get silver here than on the East Coast were it's practically laying around on the sidewalks ;D

I honestly think I could take them $10K a week and they would still be happy when I came in. I do bring them treats, and they do like to chat with my 13 year old daughter who CRH's with me. I've also had banks rolls their eyes when I bring in a few hundred bucks... All depends. Just build good relationships with the tellers and bank officers and pay attention to how they act with you. Don't do your increase in big jumps, just slowly increase your ammount and see how it goes is my advice.
 
I have known the manager at the CU for some time. When I first asked about halves this summer, she even said she would try and order them for me and let me return them when I was done (this is a "violation" of a CRH rule, so I haven't really considered it).

So today, I have $1040 in rolled halves to dump. Taking ya'lls suggestion, I only took $540 (stuffed into a $500 box). Just so happens the manager was manning one of the two teller stations. She didn't even count them, just asked "how many do you have here? :thumbsup:. Usually the tellers pull them all out and count them with that evil look in their eye >:(
Guess I should find another dump bank so I don't overload the CU. There is literally only maybe 5 or 6 banks within a 30 mile radius of my home.
Thanks for the replies and HH,
Legend
 
Just started the Monday after Christmas and have gone through about $5K in halves so far. I have a dump branch that has locations all over the state. I chose them because I have an account with them and they never have any halves and would not order me any. I just deposit them then withdraw it 2 miles down the road at another location. One problem I have run into is some of the machines only count $100 of halves then have to put a new bag on. I took in just over $1500 to location 1 and they were pissed. Location 2 today same thing with just under $2000. I was literaly there for over an hour. I have another location 2.5 hours away from my house where I work during the week and their machine has $500/bag but I was dumping $500-$1000 a day with them and they kind of got the "you gotta be kinding me" look on their faces everytime I walk in.

I will have to figure something out because I know this won't last long. I plan on doing a minimum of $5K a week.
 
Rich is right on. I have at least 30 dump spots in and around my area and try not to dump more than $500 at any one site on each visit. By having this many dump sites, I only have to visit each one about twice per month. I even keep a record of where I dump, how much I dump there and the date of the dump. That way I don't have to try and remember all that stuff. Tuff for an old mind like mind!! It has been working so far with little to no problems. I would not want to go to the same site on a weekly basis for fear of being cut off or a possible fee. So spread the wealth around and you may find life easier. HH

FL Junkman
 
I went to my normal dump bank with $1000 dollars in halves to dump the other day. This is a normal amount for me. The head teller went to the back and I heard them talking. I figured that I was going to be cut off from further coin dumps. Well i asked if everything was okay with my bringing in coin to the machine and they said yes but I would have to bring $1000 dollars or more in halves from now on. They didn't want smaller quanities??? Said okay and left. Usually bring that or more anyway.
 
FL Junkman said:
Rich is right on. I have at least 30 dump spots in and around my area and try not to dump more than $500 at any one site on each visit. By having this many dump sites, I only have to visit each one about twice per month. I even keep a record of where I dump, how much I dump there and the date of the dump. That way I don't have to try and remember all that stuff. Tuff for an old mind like mind!! It has been working so far with little to no problems. I would not want to go to the same site on a weekly basis for fear of being cut off or a possible fee. So spread the wealth around and you may find life easier. HH

FL Junkman

Rich is indeed right on as usual, but not all of us have that luxury. As far as I know (possible I could have missed a few, but I don't think so), I have been to EVERY bank within 50-60 miles of me, and several further away than that. I haven't found 30 banks with coin counters total in the hundreds of different banks I have visited. Maybe 15-20, and they're SCATTERED. Also, boxes here do not produce. I have to go on road trips to find silver. Every new dump bank is eliminating a potential buy bank.
 
Most banks prefer $1000 at a time, because they can only send off in $1000 quantities. unless you are doing nickels. thats 200 bucks.
 
I have gotten the please bring in $1,000 at a time from on branch as well since they just bag up $1K at a time and ship them off. If they don't get that much they have to keep them until they get an even grand. Of course they are all a little bit different.

HSH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom