Question on Buffalo Nickels

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have about 20 Buffalo nickels where the date is either not readable, or someone in the past has used the Nic-A-Date on it. You can clearly see the spot where they used it to try to find the date.

To me, it's not a big deal.. I enjoy them as fillers and examples of these nickels to show the kids. My question however is i'm trying to also monitor the value of my collection, and when I come to these.. I really have no idea how much value to give to them.

Now, obviously, they are worth at least 5cents. Is there ANY premium on them though, even though they have had that chemical used on them? What do you think? What could I give them as a general value? (Keep in mind.. no key dates.. just the normal ones)

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply Allen. I think your price is fair. Certainly not worth the dollar and such that some Buff's are when the date is readable.

Thanks for your input!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
When I went to the coin show, dealers were giving each new coin collector a free none-dated buffalo. The coin collector didn't have to purchase a coin from him at all, he just gave them away.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the more scarce buffalos that had the date restored using nic-a-date do go for a premium, some folks use them for a filler until they can get a better grade.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I have a couple of hundred Buffalo Nickles that I restored the date on.I have some of the key
dates such as 1913-D and S Variety II and 1914-D.I do it just because I like playing with the
coins.I have never tried to sell the key restored dates,so I don't have a clue what they would
bring.I guess to the right person you might get a few bucks.

fortbball9

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the heck of it you might try making a set of restored dates. I have two buffalo nickel books, one for coins with dates and one for coins with restored dates. Another challenge to complete

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea's everyone. I have actually just put them into the flip holders in my coin binder for now. I figured at the least, they are a great visual example for the kids.

Isn't it funny when you show kids old coins, they are always amazed.... They have NO concept of money looking and being anything different than what is in their pocket at that moment! I love the looks on their faces!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try spending a clad Kennedy half at a fast food restaurant where teenagers work. They look at them like they are from outer space. Much more often than not, they will ask "what are these", when they can clearly read on it half dollar. Too often now adays the younger generation lack common sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread