Question please help

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I was just wondering if it is worth it to keep 1983 coins. Ive heard people talking about how they save 83 coins. I keep the quarters when I search them. Which coins are worth saving? I found an 1983p quarter with a partial railroad rim, and a few other 83 quarters over the past week or so. Any idea on what to do with them? Any advice would help. If they are worth anything I think I might trade them for some silver coins.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe someone is pulling your leg. I know of no additional value for any 1983 coins.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Redbooks value for 83p quarters is about 20 dollars higher than other clad quarters (called a buddy of mine who collects coins). The thing of it is, they only have MS-63 and higher condition prices listed.

Anyway, he told me no mint sets were released in 1982 or 1983 so finding one in good shape is rare. An 83 in MS-63 is 21 bucks, $55 for a MS-65

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PCGS price guide has the '83P @ $1 for MS63, which is right in line with every other clad quarter. However, it lists MS64 @ $21, and MS65 @ $55 which is indeed several dollars higher than every other clad quarter ever minted. What this suggests to me is that the "experts" deem that the supply of MS64+ 1983P quarters is much lower than all the others, which is very likely true for whatever reason. So, if you find an MS64+ 1983P quarter in circulation (which is unlikely, but possible), its "book value" is significantly higher than any other clad quarter.

Now with that said, "book value" and the amount that you can actually sell the coin for can, and often is, two very different numbers. Supply and demand is what determines selling price. Even if the supply is low, if there is little to no demand, the price remains low. To get anywhere near "book value" for one of these quarters - should you find one - would be to find a collector that collects MS64+ clad quarters. I don't imagine there are many.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
The PCGS price guide has the '83P @ $1 for MS63, which is right in line with every other clad quarter. However, it lists MS64 @ $21, and MS65 @ $55 which is indeed several dollars higher than every other clad quarter ever minted. What this suggests to me is that the "experts" deem that the supply of MS64+ 1983P quarters is much lower than all the others, which is very likely true for whatever reason. So, if you find an MS64+ 1983P quarter in circulation (which is unlikely, but possible), its "book value" is significantly higher than any other clad quarter.

Now with that said, "book value" and the amount that you can actually sell the coin for can, and often is, two very different numbers. Supply and demand is what determines selling price. Even if the supply is low, if there is little to no demand, the price remains low. To get anywhere near "book value" for one of these quarters - should you find one - would be to find a collector that collects MS64+ clad quarters. I don't imagine there are many.

Good point, I might as well take them down to the coin shop, if I can get anything above face I might as well sell them what ever I find. I might get something for the partial railroad rimmed 83p quarter, but you're right, I don't think I will get much for the other ones. Thanks for your help man.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an '83 Reverse Double Die, look especially at the "O" in "one cent"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread