Question

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Everyone,
I'm wondering if any one knows something about the history of a civil war camp that existed in/ around Simsport La? It is in Avoyelles parish right on the Atchafaylaya river. A relative of mine says he used to hunt a soybean field around that area and has found cannon balls, a "parrot"?? round and a 1/2 cent coin. He thinks there were no battles fought there but possibly a camp. He will be taking me to hunt there soon. Any help or information will be very useful. Thanks, Shane

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I do not know of this activity, but you may want to research the parish history. There are several web sites that also have Louisiana Civil War info. Good luck. You may also want to contact the River Rat, that girl has great research capabilities. :thumbsup:

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Shane. Yes there was quite a skirmish in the area. It was in the vicinity of Norwood's plantation, near Yellow Bayou and Bayou De Glaize. I once worked with a fellow who had some in-laws in the area and he took me to a field they owned and I picked up a couple of mini balls just lying on the surface. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to hunt, so the finds were minimal. The field we went to is now a subdivision. Just think of the things under someones house or patio. Another day, another time. Those relics are probably lost forever. Good luck to you. Ron.

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information guys! I cant wait now! Growing up me and some friends used to camp out on bayou deglaize. I know of some cow fields and the like in that area. Most of it is still wooded. I will be checking all those spots out!!! Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread