Questions about Coinstar Hunting

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've seen quite a few posts on this sub-forum recently depicting people's finds over different coinstar machines around the areas. I was wondering what I was doing wrong if anything because I have only found a 10p canadian non-silver dime by looking and it was on the ground next to the machine. Is what I do and look at the reject tray enough? Or is there another better way to do it? It's starting to ick me that I haven't found a find at a popular grocery store in over 8 months.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Depends how busy the store is, how close to the cashiers, and a whole lot of things. I personally have never found anything in Coinstar machines, but I assume that's because all the ones I see are out in the open.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all just being in the right place at the right time
I always check Coinstar whenever I'm close to one. I haven't found much lately, but I have found about 5 silver dimes and a few silver quarters from them. Last month my sons pulled out a sterling silver ring from one. I have to ton of Coinstar in my area. I find that only a few of them have produced the silver. Some of them are tucked away in weird locations in the stores and are probably not used much
The ones I have had luck with are ones that are returned in the front of the store out in the open.

Your not doing anything wrong. I check the reject slot first. Then I look around the basket for any coins left in or around it. Lastly I give a quick look around and under the machine.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't be discouraged. I've only found a few cents worth in the couple months I've been checking. ...And I only see a Coinstar once a month, IF that!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Don't forget to look through the basket to see what fell thorugh the holes. After reading a post on this forum, a member had found a gold earring. I started looking down in the bottom and once, saw a necklace. I grabbed a long pencil and some two way tape and ended up with a broken sterling box chain. That was my first good find from a coinstar machine. I've managed a silver dime and a super nice 43s steel wheatie from the same machine's reject slot at different times. I have other coinstar machines nearby but the one machine is the only one I've managed any good finds from.....yet!

HH ALL

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Don't forget to look through the basket to see what fell thorugh the holes. After reading a post on this forum, a member had found a gold earring. I started looking down in the bottom and once, saw a necklace. I grabbed a long pencil and some two way tape and ended up with a broken sterling box chain. That was my first good find from a coinstar machine. I've managed a silver dime and a super nice 43s steel wheatie from the same machine's reject slot at different times. I have other coinstar machines nearby but the one machine is the only one I've managed any good finds from.....yet!
Just yesterday there ws two dimes in the reject slot. Both clad. HH ALL

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i love coinstar's i have found several dimes quarters earrings etc...
heck i even found a 1782 1 reale
this year i am up to 6 silver dimes, 1 14k charm, 4 silver quarters and a around 15 dollars in clad not to mention a pot load of Canadian coins
i find that coinstar's in the economical depressed areas produce better then the ones from better neighborhoods
check the basket by hand, floor (10 feet around) and the reject tray

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
not to mention a pot load of Canadian coins

If you have an account at a Chase Bank they will exchange Canadian coins at face value up to$10 per day. I will save up a roll of dimes or quarters and take them in for even money.

I will check a coin star machine whenever I am in a store that has one. I average about 2 silver coins a year, and a bunch of other crap. I would never go out of my way to stop a store just to check the machine. I say I would average about 0 to 3 Coin Star searches per week.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When I've taken coins in to my bank, they wouldn't give face value for the Canadians, other than cents. However, I found out yesterday from an owner of a local store that this same bank DOES get face value for Canadian coins brought in! Weird!!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not finding much at that machine, could be that a few of the employees who work in the store are sniping the reject slot already.

Also, check with the customer service desk. A lot of stores run their coin through coin stars. I've found many silver halves this way.

btw...This drives me nuts, but has anyone seen the donation box at the customer service desk where people cash in their coin star receipt. Take a peak, you'll see a lot of foreign and silver coin that people donate because the coinstar won't accept it and they don't know what they have.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hit or miss,, I have had no luck in a long while. If you are there always look. same with any coin counters, or vending machines Good luck!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit a Coinstar yesterday - had some puzzling finds. I can understand the rusty 1/4" flat washer, but there was also a dime and 2 cents. The dime is 2005 and in near mint condition. One cent is 1995 and, while badly discolored, I wouldn't think it would be rejected. The other cent is a shiny new 2014. ...Just don't make any sense!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check coinstar about four to five times a week. There are stores where the bag boys will be in there instantly after someone dumps to check it out. I think I've gotten maybe 5-6 silver coins from it and lots of foreign and junk coins. I sort of give up on them if the bag boys are all over it they've got the luxury of time since they are standing right there ...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also get a view of the floor just beneath the machine...if it looks like maybe, then yes...I will get on my hands a knees to scrounge dropped goodies.

Nothing better than a hot chic watching a middle aged man picking up change.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a dime today about 2 feet from the CoinStar machine... not sure if someone just dropped it, or if it was from the machine... also found 55 cents in a different machine today...

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually give the Coinstar at least a quick glance as I pass by on the way in and on the way out. It amazes me that people will pay nearly 11 cents on the dollar not to have to roll their coins, or find a bank that has a counter.

Here are my thoughts on Coinstar:
1- people willing to pay the 9.8-10.9% fee aren't the most money conscious folk and don't care about their rejects.
2- I see mostly young people using the machines, and sadly, a lot of younger generation have no interest in history or even know that silver coins, and some others, are more valuable.
3- The "fast cash" for a jar of change is very tempting to some people who may have "obtained" that change through less than honorable means. Such as the youngster that grabs their parents or older siblings change and hi-tails it to the coin star.

I have found gold rings, foreign coins, silver coins, and several dollars of common coins in and around coinstar machines. One time over $1.50 in coins stuck along the side of the screen. I'll take "tax free" money anytime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread