Quick question about a Sunray probe for my Etrac..

TimInNH

Aug 12, 2012
Hi - I just recieved a Sunray probe (X-1) for my Minelab E-Trac yesterday, and got it installed late last night, but I noticed that when I was about to put it into my car for detecting for today, I turned on my detector and flipped the switch over to the probe and pointed towards my car. - Is it normal for this to give a signal (for a car sized object..) at about 12" away?? I was thinking the maximum depth on about anything was only 3" or so..

- Tim

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TimInNH said:
Hi - I just recieved a Sunray probe (X-1) for my Minelab E-Trac yesterday, and got it installed late last night, but I noticed that when I was about to put it into my car for detecting for today, I turned on my detector and flipped the switch over to the probe and pointed towards my car. - Is it normal for this to give a signal (for a car sized object..) at about 12" away?? I was thinking the maximum depth on about anything was only 3" or so..

- Tim

Normally most people don't probe a car. You just got the best probe out there. Max depth can vary. The Sunray is pretty much like a small coil.

OP
OP
T

TimInNH

Aug 12, 2012
Normally most people don't probe a car. You just got the best probe out there. Max depth can vary. The Sunray is pretty much like a small coil.

Thanks tcim. Yes, I pretty know much all of what you said, but I am curious as to whether it is still normal for this probe to detect something large, at about a foot. I thought that no matter the size, +/- 3" was the max, which is what I was hoping for.
Sorry, but I've never seen this probe in person, only in videos and have never seen it respond to anything, more than 3" down.

- Tim

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TimInNH said:
Thanks tcim. Yes, I pretty know much all of what you said, but I am curious as to whether it is still normal for this probe to detect something large, at about a foot. I thought that no matter the size, +/- 3" was the max, which is what I was hoping for.
Sorry, but I've never seen this probe in person, only in videos and have never seen it respond to anything, more than 3" down.

- Tim

It's not a probe until you pull the pinpoint trigger on your machine, other wise it's a small coil. Whites machines have a pinpoint trigger. Don't know about your e -track.

OP
OP
T

TimInNH

Aug 12, 2012
Well, I finally got to use my new Sunray probe, that I installed on my Etrac, and it definitely is very sensitive, especially compared to the VibraProbe 570 that I've used for a couple years. And, now being able to use the machine's settings through the probe, I can see how this will come in really handy!
Unfortunately, no luck finding anything good last night, but I think that's still me getting used to the Etrac, that I've only had for a month..

- Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread