What's new

Quick recon results well! 1700s Liberty Cap LC

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
2,475
Golden Thread
5
Location
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as Bill already mentioned, we got out to follow-up on a new site. Unfortunately (as he mentioned) the key area was still basically 90% covered in crops (these pesky beans won't go away!).

To save the duplication, we did manage to finally find a nice feature and it seems to be fairly sizable at that. After researching we figured out why as potentially there might have been multiple (perhaps as many as 4) dwellings in that particular area of the field. I first recovered a button that slowed us down, then broken shoe buckle and then the day went in Bill's favor. I managed a button here and a stud there and finally managed a nice (though well worn and poor shape) 1793-96 Liberty capped large cent. You can make out the features of the bust and hat and that is about it. She was well used but still made the trip worth while for me. I managed 4 buttons (all early to mid 1800s) along with some other odds and ends.

What was also interesting is that my last button came on a different part of the property...perhaps telling of another site still to be explored.

I can't wait to get back!

HH

Dan
 

Attachments

  • 1a.webp
    1a.webp
    880.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 1b.webp
    1b.webp
    192.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 1c.webp
    1c.webp
    275 KB · Views: 178
  • 1d.webp
    1d.webp
    172.1 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 30
Nice relics...at least you can an ID on the coin...Congrats
 
nice digs,congrats on the liberty cap.i would love to find one no matter what shape it's in.It is a shame the ground is so hard on most coppers.i can't hardly pull up a braided hair cent that isn't toasted no less one that old.
 
Love the old copper recovery!
 
Very nice, just thinking about the other 90% would keep me up nights!
 
Nice finds. And great early large cent, no matter the condition.
Cant wait to see what else you guys pull out of there.
Potential, Potential, Potential.
 
Great hunt and post Dan. Also looks like maybe a sterling or coin silver spoon bowl? I also cant wait for you guys to get back there. Really looking forward to what else comes from this field when the beans are cut. 4 dwellings sounds like a village to me. ha

-Brad
 
Hey Dan,
Nice finds. Im not 100% but it looks like your coin could be the 1793 or the 94 with the 93 head.
The only onea with the T over the forlock of the head are them.
Don in NJ will be able to confirm. Take a look and see.
George
So that could be good news or bad news, depending on how you want to take it. Lol
 

Attachments

  • 1449179109373.webp
    1449179109373.webp
    25 KB · Views: 123
Hey Dan,
 
Last edited:
Didn't realize you dug a liberty cap - that's awesome! The more we keep looking into this site, the more intriguing its becoming. I think we're in for some nice surprises before all is said and done.
 
Hey Dan,
Nice finds. Im not 100% but it looks like your coin could be the 1793 or the 94 with the 93 head.
The only onea with the T over the forlock of the head are them.
Don in NJ will be able to confirm. Take a look and see.
George
So that could be good news or bad news, depending on how you want to take it. Lol

Thanks man. I did not take a close look at it other than knowing it was a Liberty Cap...took a closer look last night and worked on it a bit more...I pulled a "9" off the date and what looks to either be a 3 or 6 (just see the curved bottom) still working.
 
Didn't realize you dug a liberty cap - that's awesome! The more we keep looking into this site, the more intriguing its becoming. I think we're in for some nice surprises before all is said and done.
Yea man...I thought I texted you that when I began cleaning it. Certainly very worn (a crisp one would be better as we know it would not have been used and carried for many many more years) I still think we will hit a colonial honey hole on that site...if not, things will still be interesting none the less.
 
Wow nice Liberty Cap Dan! I must agree with Vino on the placement of the T. Either way, great snag and I can't wait to see what else comes out of that site.

Steve
 
Congrats on the liberty cap Dan, not an easy one to dig. Can't wait to see what comes out of that field, I'm predicting some CS state buttons.
 
HGD , THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE A DRAWER PULL ...... BUT YOU GOT SOME NICE ONES IN THAT GROUP.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom