What's new

Quick trip to British Camp produces interesting find

Palmetto

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
324
Reaction score
548
Golden Thread
2
Location
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had a few hours to head over to the camp today. The part of the area Greg and I have access to is getting scarce with the finds but they are still there-evident of Greg's incredible 1666 farthing. Today I dug a nice iron shoe buckle specimen-forks are missing but not surprised. The interesting find came in same general area as most of our coins as well as the farthing. Incredibly thin and fragile and certainly not a button I would think. After I got home decided to do some cleaning which did reveal some detail. Only one side is legible and just so happens that there is an inner ring and in the middle, the name W HIDE.
Interestingly enough, there is record of a William Hide 1667 Farthing but these don't look anything alike but that coincidence coupled with Greg's is pretty hard to overlook. While there doesn't appear to be anything else on it, it almost appears to be like a counterstamp.
any help would be appreciated! Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 20160511_144848.webp
    20160511_144848.webp
    215.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20160511_145935.webp
    20160511_145935.webp
    272.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 20160511_153954.webp
    20160511_153954.webp
    231.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20160511_153954.webp
    20160511_153954.webp
    149.7 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 26
Wow! Your finds from that site are simply amazing. Can't wait to see what y'all find next. Congratulations
 
Great afternoon dig Russ. Is that a Jimmy Rodgers special after Fatz?:laughing7:
 
That site just keeps giving up amazing and very old relics. Congratulations on the mystery coin/tolen and shoe buckle.
 
Wow Palmetto! Might not be quantity, but incredible quality. The W. Hide piece is really awesome and interesting. I hope someone chimes in and we get more information on that. The oxidation on the iron buckle looks very light in most places and in my experience, when it looks like that there is minimal pitting under there... I bet it looks great after electrolysis. If you end up zapping it, I'd love to see a picture after. Great hunt and really enjoying the posts from that place.

-Brad
 
Wow Palmetto! Might not be quantity, but incredible quality. The W. Hide piece is really awesome and interesting. I hope someone chimes in and we get more information on that. The oxidation on the iron buckle looks very light in most places and in my experience, when it looks like that there is minimal pitting under there... I bet it looks great after electrolysis. If you end up zapping it, I'd love to see a picture after. Great hunt and really enjoying the posts from that place.

-Brad

Thanks Brad-definitely will post a pic of the buckle and have it cooking right now-agree that it should clean up nicely. Other than the fantastic jack knives we have found, this is the only other iron artifact that has appeared. I am hoping for a belt axe out of this place!

Russ
 
Last edited:
It's very cool and with context of everything else from the site certainly makes you think....who knows what else that place will give up?
 
It's very cool and with context of everything else from the site certainly makes you think....who knows what else that place will give up?

I agree I believe you guys have only scratched the surface of what's to come. Can't wait to see more finds I think it is amazing due to the location.
 
I agree I believe you guys have only scratched the surface of what's to come. Can't wait to see more finds I think it is amazing due to the location.

Thanks Allen-I agree obviously and I know most of the members here think that because it is in SC that early finds like this should be pretty common but our area, the upstate (back country as it was referred to) did not have significant occupation until after the Cherokee Treaty of 1785. This particular camp only has documented visits by the British from 1730 on. Hopefully the further we get up toward the main camp area, the more will come to light!

Russ
 
I found something very similar at a Colonial fort site. I never could figure it out, but did see something similar that was told it was a super rare token of some sort. I really am not 100% though. I have no clue right off where mine is(Somewhere in the vast boxes of relics I've dug over the years) but if I can find it I'll post a photo. I'm thinking mine has the circular pattern like yours too.
 
I found something very similar at a Colonial fort site. I never could figure it out, but did see something similar that was told it was a super rare token of some sort. I really am not 100% though. I have no clue right off where mine is(Somewhere in the vast boxes of relics I've dug over the years) but if I can find it I'll post a photo. I'm thinking mine has the circular pattern like yours too.[/QUOTE

That would be fantastic-thanks for doing that. Can I ask what state it was found at?
 
You guys continue to knock it out of the park! Like everyone else, I'm really interested to hear more about the "Hide" coin if anyone is able to solve the mystery. I may have missed it, but do you know what it's made of?
 
You guys continue to knock it out of the park! Like everyone else, I'm really interested to hear more about the "Hide" coin if anyone is able to solve the mystery. I may have missed it, but do you know what it's made of?

It appears to be copper.
 
Hi. Hadn't had a chance yet to look for it as I've been working, but mine was dug in Virginia. This was a 1700's virgin fort site I located a few years ago where mine was found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom