What's new

R. A. SHINN Georgetown DC bottle found

Fossil_adult

Full Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2021
Messages
169
Reaction score
897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my best bottle ever unearthed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have never found a blobtop soda, so this is a first! I also found a killer Bone handle folding pocket knife, a marble, a doll, a Chestnut Farms Dairy bottle, a Chinese coin, and a Vaseline Bottle to top it off. Enough about the items, here they are!

R. A. Shinn Georgetown DC bottle:
20260219_161614.webp
20260219_161619.webp


Folding Bone handle pocket knife:
20260219_161206.webp

20260219_161212.webp


Vaseline Bottle:
20260219_161153.webp


Chestnut Farms Dairy Bottle:
20260219_161238.webp

20260219_161241.webp


Miscellaneous artifacts:
20260219_161259.webp


Alright I hope y'all enjoyed! Sorry this post isn't more wordy I have something I have to do so I had to post this quickly.
 
Upvote 19
This is my best bottle ever unearthed. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I have never found a blobtop soda, so this is a first! I also found a killer Bone handle folding pocket knife, a marble, a doll, a Chestnut Farms Dairy bottle, a Chinese coin, and a Vaseline Bottle to top it off. Enough about the items, here they are!

R. A. Shinn Georgetown DC bottle:
View attachment 2244936View attachment 2244937

Folding Bone handle pocket knife:
View attachment 2244934
View attachment 2244935

Vaseline Bottle:
View attachment 2244939

Chestnut Farms Dairy Bottle:
View attachment 2244940
View attachment 2244941

Miscellaneous artifacts:
View attachment 2244942

Alright I hope y'all enjoyed! Sorry this post isn't more wordy I have something I have to do so I had to post this quickly.
Lovely bottles!
Little figurine look like the alien pilot in the movie Prometheus.
20260219_161259 (1).webp

Prometheus-Movie-Engineer-With-Earth-2137882487 (1).webp
 
Congratulations on the great looking glass.
Here's an AI snippet on the history of the maker of the blob-top soda.

R. A. Shinn Georgetown D.C. blob top soda bottles are highly collectible 19th-century Civil War-era bottles, generally dating from 1863–1873 after Shinn took over from Arny & Shinn (1855–1862)
. These aqua or colored glass, hand-blown "squat" bottles feature a blob-top for wire-fastened corks and were used to supply soda to Union troops.
Key Historical Details
  • Bottler & Location: R. A. Shinn operated in Georgetown, D.C., often located on Olive Street.
  • Era: The business transitioned from Arny & Shinn (1855–1863) to R. A. Shinn alone (1863–1873), after which it was sold to Palmer & Green.
  • Significance: These are considered Civil War-period sodas, with records indicating the company supplied up to 5 wagons of beverages daily to Union soldiers.
  • Bottle Characteristics: These are typically "blob top" or "squat" bottles, often in aqua, but sometimes deeper teal or green, with applied tops.
  • Variations: Some bottles are marked "Arny & Shinn," while others are strictly "R.A. Shinn".
The company was very successful, with reports suggesting the partners were making substantial income (over $30,000 annually) during that period.
 
Thank you all! I'm so stoked with the finds. Today was definetly my best day in terms of bottle finds. And I've found a LOT of bottles so lol.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom