Rare Coin Find!

What should the state give a salvor when they take a coin worth 100 times what all the other coins i

• A pat on the back!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I will tell you!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
The smaller coin is a 4 reale' "Star of lima" - 1659 - !

Abet, this coin has corrosion issues but - still is one of the rarest of all spanish colonial cobs to ever have been minted.

Now here's the question??? If the State takes it from us and its value is say 20 to 100 times all the other coins found this year - what should they give back to our company for undertaking the risk and expense to recover and preserve it for the public benefit???

Attachments

• PI5Send1.Jpg
    PI5Send1.Jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 991
  • PI5Send2.Jpg
    PI5Send2.Jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 986
  • PI5Send1.Jpg
    PI5Send1.Jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 995
  • PI5Send2.Jpg
    PI5Send2.Jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 978
  • PI5Send1.Jpg
    PI5Send1.Jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 984
  • PI5Send2.Jpg
    PI5Send2.Jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 978
OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
The larger of the two is a Potosi Assayer E, 8 reale that has good weight and is probably got a partial date of 1658.

The smaller of the two is the Lima 4 reale. I've left it partially encrusted because when i found it - it had little encrustation on it to begin with. You could read the 4 figured date that sits atop the flat waves - (an atribute of the Lima variety coins) Potosi coins waves are wavier - like the mountain of Cera Rico where they were mined.

The word lima sits above the date and above that is the star, then the crown. This coin can be further cleaned but it will just lose more mass and in my opinion it should not be - as it is recognizable.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would throw it back into the sea before i gave it to them. let them do the leg work if they want it.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Is there anyplace that list all the assayers that was invloved with Spain/ Actually I am looking for ONE in particular "oD" from the Granada Mint in Spain.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread