What's new

RARE Nova Constellatio Crosby 4-D and 1775 CFT. Irish half penny

hogge

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
3,825
Reaction score
1,528
Golden Thread
5
Location
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bro in law has had ALL the luck this year as he found these 2 beauties on Sat. Nice to ID a RARE coin for once as most varieties will be either common or scarce. The CFT. Irish has some great details. Pretty easy to ID as CFT. Very thin.....Georgivis too high on the head as NOT to match any Die of a regal 1775.....and has a "Biblical" or "script" type "X" in REX. The right hand date is only legible under magnification. Only the 5 is visible. Cannot be anything but a 1775. HH Hogge The 2 coins you see in the pic, were rinsed off in a puddle before the pic was taken. This is why they appear slightly cleaner than the rest of the finds.
 

Attachments

  • photo 3.webp
    photo 3.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 449
  • photo 4.webp
    photo 4.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 478
  • photo 1.webp
    photo 1.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 489
  • photo 2.webp
    photo 2.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0989.webp
    IMG_0989.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Upvote 18
Thats what I'm talking about. Great finds.
 
Don't know a thing about them, but I like 'em!
 
Were you with him?
 
Wasn't with him, but know the site. I should have been but had to work. Same spot he found his woods hibernia.(another BEAUTY!). Funny thing is, we were ALL over this site last year and missed these. Hard to explain, but I think our hard deep frost may have had something to do with it.:dontknow: I have to post for him for lack of computer. I also clean the coins and relics up for him. He's found some REALY nice coins this year. Can't believe, like the NJ and now this CFT. came out like they did.
 
Last edited:
Not only did we miss these coins but I dug at leased 20 holes sat also found were old buttons buckles and other odds n ends
 
That Nova is sweet..... (I feel like I'm in high school again complimenting someone's car..... Am I dating myself with that comment? :laughing7:). Congrats to your brother in law!
 
Also when myself n hogge went to this site the brush and prickers were high but the snow had laid it all flat which gave me a chance to hit spots that were not possible in the middle of summer when plants life was at its fullest
 
Also when myself n hogge went to this site the brush and prickers were high but the snow had laid it all flat which gave me a chance to hit spots that were not possible in the middle of summer when plants life was at its fullest

That's the only good thing about snow! Congrats on the great coins! It's cool to actually see copper color on the counterfeit.
 
Killer coins there. Tell him congrats. Now it's your turn bro
 
Now that's a copper!!!! Can't say I've seen too many of those on here.

Congrats
 
The soil seems to have been more than kind to those coins,minimal corrosion, you can't beat that on dug coins. Always nice to see something different!
 
The soil seems to have been more than kind to those coins,minimal corrosion, you can't beat that on dug coins. Always nice to see something different!
Im going to post the "directly out of ground" pics I have tomarow. The Nova actually had quite a bit of corrosion but the peroxide cleaned it up nice. (took 3 times and a Q-tip scrub) There actually are some VERY deep pitting in it. Almost holes. The Irish must have some time of alloy, or metal, mixed with the copper, that prevented it from breaking down. It has a very high pitched ringing when dropped.
 
Im going to post the "directly out of ground" pics I have tomarow. The Nova actually had quite a bit of corrosion but the peroxide cleaned it up nice. (took 3 times and a Q-tip scrub) There actually are some VERY deep pitting in it. Almost holes. The Irish must have some time of alloy, or metal, mixed with the copper, that prevented it from breaking down. It has a very high pitched ringing when dropped.

You know that's something I myself have noticed, I've found a few counterfeits over the years, some, not all, have very unique properties in their chemistry that almost have a high resistance to corrosion that we would normally see on most coins made legitimately. Their makeup is not consistent so they all turn out differently.
Taking a second look at the Nova, I can definitely see that it had issues coming out if the ground, looks good now!
 
Real nice Coppers your brother in law found Hogge. Now it is your turn to pop some of those bad boys out of the ground:thumbsup:
 
GREAT FINDS !!:thumbsup:
 
Congrats on the coppers, I have not found any coppers that compare to though, I'm still waiting for my first U.S. minted colonial copper too.
 
wow that's incredible to get such a rare coin! and it's got a lot of nice detail left on it too! awesome hunt
 
wow that's incredible to get such a rare coin! and it's got a lot of nice detail left on it too! awesome hunt
Although it's considered rare, it's not really worth a lot of $. Personally, I've never found one. Thanks CJON.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom