Rear Brake Squeak

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma two wheel drive with drum back brakes. I have had this truck for three years and it has always had a slight squeak that could only be heard when you were just about stopped while applying the brakes. I can sometimes be louder, but it never goes away. I have taken it to the shop three times and nobody could fix it. I spent about 300 bucks in the process and it was driving me batty.

I use to work on my on vehicles, but age has taken care of that option for the most part. I knew it was from the back drivers side, so I removed the drum and greased all wear points and while doing that, I noticed a slight spot of shiny metal where something appeared to be rubbing. It was very faint, but noticeable. The drum has a groove where the lip of the backing plate fits into. This is to keep moisture or debris from getting into the pad assembly. I filed the lip of the backing plate and used a dremel tool to do the same on the drum groove.

I probably would have spent much more money trying to fix this because it was barely able to be seen. I am not a great mechanic, but I sort of felt like one with this problem.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a 2009 Tundra-mine is a bigger than your truck :laughing7:

Seriously I hear you on the brake issue.

Had new brakes rotors/pads done on the truck.
They squealed like it was the warning of totally worn out brakes.
Once the brakes are hot (driven for awhile) no issue.

Been back to garage 3 times over the issue. It went away then it comes back-goes away, comes back.
Never happens for them, it seems.

My reasons: Cheap off shore replacement parts ( No we only use Napa parts, best on the market). Excuse.

Moisture-Light rusting on rotors/pads/drums is another issue.
Original brakes never had the quick rusting issues.( cheaper steel now )

Dust is another factor.
All I know it drives me nuts sometimes, and all the garages want is $$$.

It's like a vibration in the wheel at that certain speed (which turns out to be the comfort speed we travel at)
Nope the tires are all balanced-excuse.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dread the day I need new brakes. I used to to do the front ones myself, but ag got me too. I did change the evaporative vapor purge control valve in my truck a couple weeks ago. Does that count? (It was on top and on the rear of the engine, hard to get to.)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, try this little trick. Put a teaspoon of scouring powder (Ajax, or similar) into the rear brake drums. One teaspoon each side, there are usually adjustment and/or inspection holes you can use to put it in through. I always did it with the wheel raised up so you can spin the wheel by hand to distribute the powder evenly before driving. Brake squeak in drum brakes is often due to glazing of the shoes over time and the scouring powder breaks the glaze and ends squeak. I used this method years ago. learned it from a German master mechanic I worked for.

Smokey, aftermarket disc brake pads often squeal if they didn't use factory originals. In any case there is a product called "anti-squeal" that many pro mechanics apply to new brake pads when installing. This is available in a spray can or a tube and is applied to the back of the pad and allowed to dry before installation and is very effective on ridding disc brakes of squeal. I have done thousands of brake jobs in my life and always use anti-squeal on aftermarket pads. Doesn't hurt to use it on factory pads either, it works!! The squeal in disc brakes is from a harmonic vibration in the pads and the sticky anti-squeal compound does a great job of eliminating the harmonic vibration and resulting noise.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions