What's new

Recovery magnets..... Questions.....

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
4,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I finally went and bought a recovery magnet and gave it a shot today. Didn't get much other than a few square nails, bottle caps and rust. But.... there were some things we got a grip on that the magnet just couldn't get all the way out of the silt. So, I'm fairly sure the "100 lbs" rating on the magnet was more than a little optimistic..... I'm going to get another one and try again, but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good magnet. I know there's good stuff in the bayou, and, well.... I want it....
 
I have a 3/4" neodymium ball inside of a foot long 3/4" PVC pipe with end caps. The caps obviously extend the distance therefore decrease the strength a little, but I mainly use it for loose dirt I have in the hole anyway. I doubt it would pull a piece of iron out of packed soil with it.
 
I have a 3/4" neodymium ball inside of a foot long 3/4" PVC pipe with end caps. The caps obviously extend the distance therefore decrease the strength a little, but I mainly use it for loose dirt I have in the hole anyway. I doubt it would pull a piece of iron out of packed soil with it.

I'm looking to use it in waterways.... I got good info on where the local sheriffs used to dump confiscated guns many years ago and had this idea of recovering as many as I can and welding them into bars for my windows.... plus I know a few spots where there are rumors of a lot of 1812 and CW cannonballs in the water.....
 
100lbs MIGHT lift 100lbs out of the water. However if that 100lbs is down in the muck, clay or sand the suction will be a lot stronger than 100lbs. I have had to dig out anchors and bombs while diving and the bombs were 100lb Mark 1. Even 25lb boat anchors would be a challenge to pull out of anything holding them down. One of the bombs I found underwater took me over an hour to dig out before I could manually force it out of the clay and sand on the bottom of a lake.

Another problem is how much force you need to free the object from what is holding it to the bottom.
 
Last edited:
Pick your winner, they got 'em all.

K & J Magnets

This one should grab what your after, and will fit inside a PVC pipe to give you some reach.

Round
 
Last edited:
I'm looking to use it in waterways.... I got good info on where the local sheriffs used to dump confiscated guns many years ago and had this idea of recovering as many as I can and welding them into bars for my windows.... plus I know a few spots where there are rumors of a lot of 1812 and CW cannonballs in the water.....
Right under those window bars Write "Don't tread here".:laughing7:
You could put these in a PVC tube and drag it along. Hint: Put a cloth sock full length over the PVC then when magnet is full you can remove the sock and you have a clean Magnet again. https://www.apexmagnets.com/5mm-x-10mm-cylinders
Marvin
 
Pick your winner, they got 'em all.

K & J Magnets

This one should grab what your after, and will fit inside a PVC pipe to give you some reach.

Round

That one looks like a definite winner.... Explaining to the girlfriend why I just spent $200 on a magnet though..... :tongue3:
 
That one looks like a definite winner.... Explaining to the girlfriend why I just spent $200 on a magnet though..... :tongue3:

If she loves you it shouldn't matter. She should only be concerned with your happiness.
 
The lb. force rating of magnets tells you how many pounds of force it takes to remove a piece of highly magnetic material (steel) from the magnet. This takes into account optimum conditions such as a clean magnet in good condition, and attracting highly magnetic material (clean steel).

I don't have any strong magnets anymore, but there's some good info at this site:
Neodymium N52 Magnets for Sale | Buy Neodymium N52 Magnets Online

Be careful of which magnets you choose, as some are very sensitive to heat, while others are very sensitive to moisture, while even others are very brittle.
 
Check out 'aquachigger' on youtube. He does exactly what you are talking about.
 
You know who does a lot of "magnet fishing" is Bainsey from t-net. Seems like a real knowledgable nice fella.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom