What's new

red brass

sharkriver100

Greenie
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
16
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
deus, at pro, excel, gold bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would some one explain the difference and give me an example of items typically made from red brass?
 
Bullet shells. I tried to load a picture but it didn't look like it worked.
Nick
 
Shell casings are yellow brass. Red brass would be faucets, water meters, bearings, valves, etc. Almost all outdoor water faucets are red brass.

Red brass is just that, brass that has a red hue too it. It contains more copper than yellow brass, hince the red look. When sorting your brass, keep a file handy and file a small part of the piece in question, you can then see what color it is. Once you work with brass enough, you will be able to pick out red brass without even thinking about it.
 
Silversaddle,
You obviously did not see the picture I tried to post. I know shell casings are usually made of yellow brass. My picture has both yellow and red brass shells. I will post it tomorrow.
Nick
 
Nick,

No we did not see your pic. Even you would have to admit that red brass shell casings would be rare. I'm a avid shooter and been scrapping for 25 years and I don't think I can recall ever finding red brass shell casings.

I'm not saying they are not out there, just that the OP wanted a list of things that were typically made of yellow brass.

I would like to see your casings. Who says an old dog can't learn a new trick! :icon_thumleft:
 
Here is my picture as promised. Sure looks like red brass to me. Shells are also made of other metals besides yellow brass.
Nick
 

Attachments

  • Image Red Brass.webp
    Image Red Brass.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 5,214
The red shells I find are steel and plated red. Would you put a magnet on one and see if it sticks
 
bookcliff said:
Here is my picture as promised. Sure looks like red brass to me. Shells are also made of other metals besides yellow brass.
Nick


Yes, I have seen steel, aluminum, and even stainless cases, but red brass cases would be a new one on me. Those cases you show in yur pic, are they steel? They look like the .308 shells we shoot that are imported from Russia, red painted steel.
 
No bullet shells are 70/30 brass not to be confused with cu/ni 70/30. .22 shells and chrome are yellow brass. Heavy valves, marine brass, meter brass can all go red. chrome brass goes yellow no matter what.
 
Not all water meters are red brass either. Some dealers call them yellow!!
 
wolfmann said:
Not all water meters are red brass either. Some dealers call them yellow!!

in 25 years of full time scrapping, I can truly say I have never seen a yellow brass water meter. ;D
 
wolfmann said:
Not all water meters are red brass either. Some dealers call them yellow!!
Water meter shells should actually pay better then red. If your getting yellow price your being ripped off. Maybe your getting yellow price for a whole meter no frost plate. When I say meter brass I do mean meter shells.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom