Redbox Is Owned By Coinstar......

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Did you know that Coinstar owns Redbox? I didn't! Interesting blurb from the Redbox website, www.insideredbox.com:

Redbox Parent Coinstar Solicits “Next Big Idea”
Posted by Shane Smith on Aug 17, 2010 under news

Do you have an idea for kiosk-type business rattling around in your noggin? If so, you may want to enter the second installment of Coinstar’s “Next Big Idea” contest. The Redbox parent is offering $10,000 for the best new concept in retail-based kiosks. The submission deadline for the contest is September 30, with the winner being announced at the 2010 Customer Engagement Technology World expo in November.

From the contest website:

The winning entry will have the potential to shake up the market for their product or services by offering great value to consumers and retailers. Your idea should address a unique need, like the Coinstar coin counting machine, or solve a consumer problem, as the redbox DVD rental machines do by offering superior convenience. Your business should have a large potential market (>$1B) and have the potential to capture significant market share.

With Redbox kiosks making up a huge chunk of its revenue, its not surprising that Coinstar is looking to duplicate its success with another concept.

Are any of you going to enter this contest, Insiders? If you have a potential billion-dollar idea, would it be wise to sell it for a mere ten grand, even if it meant another company would assume the costs and risks associated with getting it off the ground?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Hm, I'm surprised that Redbox is making most of its revenue, I would have thought the coinstar machines would with how easily dimes get counted as pennies in there :laughing7:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some good ideas, but I wouldn't sell them for 10 grand. I would need a piece of the pie for the long run. Even if it was just a tiny piece of that pie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread