Refrigerator Scrapping Question

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beloved brother & Sister scrappers,

I am little brother.
I have 1 refrigerator made back in 1993 that I'm about to sell for scrap. One yard will take it without me doing preparation to it. The other yard will give me a dollar more per 100lb. but refrigerant lines cannot be intact as they say. I'd like to get the copper off it but am unsure about safety etc on opening refrigerant line. Anybody care to offer pros/cons on selling fridge whole vs. breaking down components seperately etc and how to?

Beloved Little Brother

BCR

Jul 7, 2007
Ontario Canada
You'll probably have to get somebody with a freon recovery machine to do it properly. It'll probably cost you $35( that's the going rate where I am) Prices for scrap are up so why bother taking the thing apart? Lot of work for a small bit of copper.

Probably don't need to tell you that you don't want somebody seeing you cut the refrigeration line in plain view.. the boys at the EPA take a dim view of it. The fine you could possibly get is waaay more than the $35 I previously mentioned.

I watched an episode of How It's Made and fridges have insulation in them as well. 8)

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
if you know someone to take the freon out for free then go for it. Not sure what your scrap yard charges for doing that. There is aluminum behind the back wall of the freezer that is a good size hunk. They are right about the copper unless you get the one that runs up the back outside with the wires. speaking of wires they get .32 a pound here so cut all of them off that you can see. You can get charged $10,000 for cutting the tube and letting the freon out "if" someone reports you. I got lucky a friend on mine used to be in the heater and air bussiness and has an evacuator that he uses to take the freon out and then he reuses it. Check around and see who offers to remove freon and how much they charge. Check places that rebuild air conditioners and see if they would take it for little to nothing.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you brothers!

CAP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread